• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jim D.

Jim D.

Replaced washed-out photo of strawberries

A few more photos of what I have produced for the Dubovik course. As is obvious, these classes have been emphasizing gradient techniques, in each case using a cocoa pod mold.

Photo #1:  Filling is a Dubovik take on almond gianduja. He calls for roasting almonds with skins on and a cut-up vanilla bean, then pouring a caramel over everything, and grinding it all (including the bean) until it becomes a paste--very aromatic and delicious.

dutton-eg-07.jpg.16d0daf7824a818b02d0f222d9474801.jpg

#Photo 2:  If you use your imagination a bit, the same mold becomes a strawberry. I filled it with strawberry pâte de fruit (this is not one of Dubovik's fillings).

dutton-eg-08.jpg.b35a79f4ae831d65709bd701fb359db6.jpg

Photo #3:  Again, with the same mold, it's a sort of yellow and green bean. I did not use Dubovik's recommended fillings in every case because he repeats them, and since I am giving my "homework" to friends and customers to evaluate, I didn't want to bore them with repeats (I have labored hard to make the point that fillings are really more important than the appearance of a bonbon--and yes, I do realize that I am enrolled in a course that puts a total emphasis on the latter). The filling in this one is a Wybauw recipe for dark chocolate ganache flavored with orange and spiced honey.

dutton-eg-08-2.jpg.6d7a210fc236c17044fbe7bb3d24b755.jpg

Jim D.

Jim D.

A few more photos of what I have produced for the Dubovik course. As is obvious, these classes have been emphasizing gradient techniques, in each case using a cocoa pod mold.

Photo #1:  Filling is a Dubovik take on almond gianduja. He calls for roasting almonds with skins on and a cut-up vanilla bean, then pouring a caramel over everything, and grinding it all (including the bean) until it becomes a paste--very aromatic and delicious.

dutton-eg-07.jpg.16d0daf7824a818b02d0f222d9474801.jpg

#Photo 2:  If you use your imagination a bit, the same mold becomes a strawberry. I filled it with strawberry pâte de fruit (this is not one of Dubovik's fillings).

dutton-eg-08-1.jpg.7a03015419dcab1917bcadf6cf179fa9.jpg

Photo #3:  Again, with the same mold, it's a sort of yellow and green bean. I did not use Dubovik's recommended fillings in every case because he repeats them, and since I am giving my "homework" to friends and customers to evaluate, I didn't want to bore them with repeats (I have labored hard to make the point that fillings are really more important than the appearance of a bonbon--and yes, I do realize that I am enrolled in a course that puts a total emphasis on the latter). The filling in this one is a Wybauw recipe for dark chocolate ganache flavored with orange and spiced honey.

dutton-eg-08-2.jpg.6d7a210fc236c17044fbe7bb3d24b755.jpg