• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

23 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

Having a white without an offputting odor is the holy grail--mainly because white is used to create lighter colors and for backing other colors trying to cover dark chocolate. By "discovery kit" do you mean this was Power Flowers? I know what they are but have never used them.

And when you say "making our own white," do you mean from titanium dioxide or from commercial powdered white cocoa butter? I always thought it was the titanium that contributed the bad odor and taste, but perhaps rancidity has been contributing to that.

Yup - power flowers discovery kit 

image.thumb.jpg.d0b809a52b94f46b7390a9adfeb120ce.jpg

Just poked my nose in the fat soluble white behind - smells fine and it's old 

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

22 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

Having a white without an offputting odor is the holy grail--mainly because white is used to create lighter colors and for backing other colors trying to cover dark chocolate. By "discovery kit" do you mean this was Power Flowers? I know what they are but have never used them.

And when you say "making our own white," do you mean from titanium dioxide or from commercial powdered white cocoa butter? I always thought it was the titanium that contributed the bad odor and taste, but perhaps rancidity has been contributing to that.

Just poked my nose in here - smells fine. Won't let me add pic - next post

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

22 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

Just poked my nose in here - smells fine.