• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Kitchen tools" that were intended for other uses

dscheidt

On 5/6/2018 at 11:59 PM, dscheidt said:

Some things are pretty obvious, like a decent paint brush instead of a crappy and expensive 'pastry brush' ...

Pretty obvious, but I'd never thought of it. What kind of bristles work best in the kitchen?

Notes from the underbelly

4 hours ago, paulraphael said:

Pretty obvious, but I'd never thought of it. What kind of bristles work best in the kitchen?

I have an assortment.  I use cheap utility brushes (of black china bristle) for thick gloppy stuff (bbq sauce, etc) and better natural bristle brushes for pastry stuff where precision is important. 

• Like 1

Oh, and the sponge-head paint "brushes" (I think you use them for edging around doors and woodwork). They're marvelous for cleaning out that top channel where the lid fits and seals on your IP.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 4 weeks later...