• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Kitchen tools" that were intended for other uses

dscheidt

I spent several hours in the kitchen today, doing pretty mindless work that I've done before, I got to thinking about stuff that's in the kitchen (or at least used there) that wasn't specifically intended for kitchen use.  Some things are pretty obvious, like a decent paint brush instead of a crappy and expensive 'pastry brush', or a plumber's torch for setting stuff on fire searing and browning.  I've got a few things, like industrial filter cloths for sieving, but I wonder what others have and use.  Here's the particular tool that got me thinking about this.  Albion are a maker of stuff for dispensing caulk; I believe this is a tool for smoothing and shaping caulk joints.  (I didn't buy it, I found it on a windowsill while walking around).  I mostly use it as a screed, to strike measuring cups and spoons level.  IMG_5511.thumb.JPG.25505a72c268342d797eacdbf210b58e.JPG

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title (log)

My read out thermometer is not meant for cooking and came from Canadian Tire (thanks to Kerry Beal).  I have several caulking scrapers and spatulas on hand always.  Thank that's it.  Not exciting and not unusual.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I have a small metal tart/coffee tamper that I use to smash garlic. It's no stainless steel mushroom, but it'll do. :B

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I use engine degreaser spray to clean my oven.  It’s fantastic as long as you clean it off completely, and far cheaper than purpose-bought oven cleaner.

Edited by Cronker (log)

10 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I've mentioned this before.  I keep a sewing gauge in my knife drawer.  Handy to measure thickness of fish, rolled doughs or slices of anything.

post-55674-0-82359400-1441474077_thumb.jpg

I use those too, but in my chocolate kitchen. :-)

• Like 1

I use a Black & Decker rolling toolbox (about the size of a rolling cooler, like this: http://toolboxesmall.blogspot.com/2011/04/black-decker-mastermate-tool-box.html ) to carry my tools to classes I teach and competition. I also have a propane torch, some steel rulers, a bunch of steel trowels with different sized notches for chocolate work, steel scrapers, box cutters, and a bunch of faux finishing tools (like this) for chocolate work and sugar.

Then, of course, there's the medical supply place I get sugar blowing equipment from...

18 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I use the same clips as @Okanagancook.   

Count me in the clothespin cohort. But my clothesline is right outside the kitchen.

• Like 2

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

5 hours ago, dcarch said:

Call me crazy.

Not wanting to pay for a Vitamix, I simply hacked my woodworking router into a variable, reversible high power mixer.

dcarch

Does it connect to the internet as well?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I use a cheap plastic caliper like this one to measure food for calculating sous-vide times. Mine's smaller than this one... only opens a few inches.

Also, industrial nylon or polyester filter bags, down to 5 microns. These are the same thing as Superbags, but come in more (and finer) mesh sizes, and cost a fraction. Great for anytime a chinois isn't fine enough, but you don't need to actually clarify something. Make sure to get the mesh ones and not the felt ones (you can't clean and reuse the felt).

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Does it connect to the internet as well?

LOL!

A Vitamix is way over priced. 

A router is a 4x to 5x more complicated machine than a Vitamix, yet a router is about 1/3 the price. Both Vitamix and a router use about the same motor.

dcarch

21 hours ago, dcarch said:

LOL!

A router is a 4x to 5x more complicated machine than a Vitamix, yet a router is about 1/3 the price. Both Vitamix and a router use about the same motor.

dcarch

Well ... you can get a refurb for around $300. You still get a 3-year warranty. That's for a US-made machine with  Swedish (Electrolux) 11 amp motor with a great reliability record. And you're not just getting a motor and shaft. You get the jug, which is designed for optimal flow and shear characteristics (sadly not for being easy to clean) ...  and the stainless blades and sealed bearings. And excellent speed control. It's durable and well designed. The tamper is a killer feature, but would be fairly easy to copy. I assume a patent keeps the other companies from doing so.

If I wanted a blender that was almost as good and cheaper, I'd just get one of the perfectly good knockoffs, like a Ninja or Blendtec. I'm betting they'd be more efficient and easier to use than a hot-rodded router. But probably not as fun a project.

BTW, here's a video teardown, plus abuse, by my favorite potty-mouthed Canadian machinist/engineer/comedian. The VM is just about the only kitchen tool he has kind words for. 

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly

On 9.5.2018 at 4:45 PM, paulraphael said:

Also, industrial nylon or polyester filter bags, down to 5 microns. These are the same thing as Superbags, but come in more (and finer) mesh sizes, and cost a fraction. Great for anytime a chinois isn't fine enough, but you don't need to actually clarify something. Make sure to get the mesh ones and not the felt ones (you can't clean and reuse the felt).

I've looked into using nylon filter for filtration as an alternative to coffee filters because nylon fabric is relatively cheap and reusable, but currently I have my clarification and filtration projects on hold, so I haven't tried it.

@paulraphael How do you clean your filter and why does clarification not work with this kind of filter?

Edited by THS (log)

10 hours ago, dcarch said:

LOL!

dcarch

Sorry...attempt at humor went through to the keeper.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou