• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saying hello from Cape Town

Hi everyone,

I'm based in Cape Town, South Africa and very happy to find eGullet. I used  to read it seven or eight years ago and am happy to rediscover these forums again. I'm especially interested in Mediterranean and Asian cooking.

MaryLouise

• Like 2

Hi kayb. It's autumn here right now and we have a severe drought and water shortages. Despite that, the weather is glorious and I'm hoping to make gnocchi with brown butter for lunch and use the last of the sage leaves in my dessicated herb garden. Busy going through the eGulllet Cook-Off suggestions because I don't always get my gnocchi pillowy and light.

• Like 2

Welcome, MaryLouise! Capetown is a beautiful place - at least, it was when I was there a few years ago before the drought situation was so dire. I liked the food there too. 

Keep in mind that the Cook-Offs are always open and additions to them are welcome, no matter how old. If you get your gnocchi to your satisfaction, you may also wish to help revive the Perfecting Gnocchi topic.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown