• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 5/6/2018 at 2:20 PM, Anna N said:

@liuzhou, I have never been to Vietnam and I’m never likely to get there but I’ve had bánh xèo in Toronto so for once I can relate to something you enjoyed!  

The first time I ate it was in Paris about 30 years ago. At that time London had few if any Vietnamese restaurants. The UK didn't have the historic connection. I certainly never came across any, but I know they are there now. 

I've eaten it in Hanoi many times, but they served it in a slightly different manner. No rice paper wraps. One just  used the lettuce leaves as the wrap. Still delicious.

I don't suppose I'll ever get to Canada!

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

@liuzhou, I have never been to Vietnam and I’m never likely to get there but I’ve had bánh xèo in Toronto so for once I can relate to something you enjoyed!  

The first time I ate it was in Paris about 30 years ago. At that time London had few if any Vietnamese restaurants. The UK didn't have the historic connection. I certainly never came across any, but I know they are there now. 

I've eaten it Hanoi many times, but they served it in a slightly different manner. No rice paper wraps. One just  used the lettuce leaves as the wrap. Still delicious.

I don't suppose I'll ever get to Canada!