• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

When you are alone is it Thomas Keller or Kraft?

Campbells Bean with Bacon is always in my pantry for an easy and quick dinner. It's extra good when I have homemade cornbread wedges in the freezer to wrap in foil and reheat in the CSO. Then slathered with butter. Really good and almost no work.

I also admit to making that canned tamale casserole with chili, onions and cheese baked together occasionally. 

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

15 hours ago, gfweb said:

image.png.484fcd8f60929caaacc9905c3b4b59f2.png

I'm not sure why I find it so funny that the ingredients include natural smoke flavoring, and then, just to reassure us,  not-so-natural smoke flavoring. Not that I understand how natural smoke flavoring gets into the can. Maybe they just set fire to a pile of sodium and turn a fan in the direction of the canning room.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Reading about eating canned bean and creamed soups reminds me of my childhood when my Mother utilized these things regularly.  Constantly.  Endlessly.  When I wasn't eating a tough as shoe leather steak...I was eating canned soup.  I have to admit that I hate just about all canned soups, Habitant Pea Soup being the one exception that comes to mind.  And then we alter the soup so much that it leaves its original nature far behind.  

Any dish which calls for using a can of creamed chicken or celery soup is not ever going to be served in our house.   I'm not a cooking snob...I just hate the taste of canned soups.   

ps.  Add cream of mushroom to the forbidden list.

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I will own up to always keeping a can of cream of mushroom and a can of cream of chicken soup in my pantry. I use the first in the iconic green bean casserole. I use the second in my chicken pot pie. I can make, and have made, homemade versions of both to use in those recipes; in my book, there is little to no taste differential in the finished product, so I opt for less labor. (Raised my kids on that chicken pot pie, I did; half a small rotissiere chicken, bag of mixed veggies, can of cream of chicken soup, cup and a half of grated cheddar, two Pillsbury pie crusts, put it together, bake, boom, done. Finest thing going when you come in from work and have to get to the ballpark.)

But I rarely, rarely eat a canned soup as, well, soup.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

5 hours ago, kayb said:

I will own up to always keeping a can of cream of mushroom and a can of cream of chicken soup in my pantry. I use the first in the iconic green bean casserole. I use the second in my chicken pot pie. I can make, and have made, homemade versions of both to use in those recipes; in my book, there is little to no taste differential in the finished product, so I opt for less labor. (Raised my kids on that chicken pot pie, I did; half a small rotissiere chicken, bag of mixed veggies, can of cream of chicken soup, cup and a half of grated cheddar, two Pillsbury pie crusts, put it together, bake, boom, done. Finest thing going when you come in from work and have to get to the ballpark.)

But I rarely, rarely eat a canned soup as, well, soup.

I ALWAYS have cream of chicken.  Apparently it's weird to just eat it as soup.  Who knew?!?

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, rotuts said:

if you don't keep flour in your home

That's not a possibility as far as I'm concerned.

For other folks, sure. But not me. We have at least three kinds of flour on hand - bread flour, cake flour and AP flour. Guess who decided to teach himself how to bake after years of saying he would. So flour is a given as are the other items.

I don't really care what other folks do. Not covering any new ground here, and the reason why I prefer from scratch is because I know what goes into it.

I told someone once that I'd make my own butter and salt if I could. There was a story once about a guy who would trudge home with buckets of water from the Pacific and boil it away to get his own sea salt. But now that we have micro-sized pellets of plastic in the oceans, I'm not as interested as I once was.

On 5/2/2018 at 2:48 AM, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I also prefer the texture of boxed cake mixes to what I make from scratch.

In a similar vein,  My DW and I have a time-honored brownie recipe adapted from her mom's recipe. When we want brownies at home we make them from scratch. However, I bake 4 foil catering pan's worth of brownies a week for desserts at faire (girl brownies and boys brownies - I'll let you guess what the difference is) and those are made from Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Brownie Mix, the only brand I'll use.

I still like the taste of Kraft mac'n'cheese over my home-made; it's a comfort food thing. The only variance is the addition of sour cream.

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

On 5/15/2018 at 10:54 PM, Katie Meadow said:

Not that I understand how natural smoke flavoring gets into the can.

Alton Brown did a Good Eats episode on how liquid smoke is made and how to make your own. Mmmm, no. Wright's still gets my business.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

@Porthos

I saw that GE show.  I too use Wrights

I have not tried DH brownies   

I use Betty C's

Ill give them a try

I use the BC's as a base for what I take to the Library.

Ill make one of BC and one of DH  and ask the library to decide.

• Like 3

For me it's about how they cut up. The DH cuts cleaner than BC or Pillsbury. I use the one-egg version and go 1/3 cup oil and a 1/ cup water. They want a 1/2 cup of oil.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Cool and gloomy day today.  Perfect for Campbell's Tomato Bisque soup (tastes to me infinitely better than their regular 

Tomato soup.  Along with Nabisco mini saltines (better than the regular sized crackers).

• Like 1

I'll take Campbell's Tomato Soup (made with milk, not water). It's a comfort thing and an easy thing, too.

When I attended elementary school, we were allowed to walk home for lunch, which, of course, is not allowed these days. Once I fended off the dinosaurs (xD) and got home for lunch, my mom would have Campbell's Tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich waiting for me. Total comfort food for me.

It gave me the strength to fight off the dinosaurs on my way back to school after lunch.

I suppose I could channel my inner Keller and make my own Cream of Tomato Soup but why would I bother when I like the soup Campbell's makes? 

So it's "Kraft" for me...

• Like 5

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver