• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoking Cooked meats : Min to max times ?

rotuts

I SV Turkey breasts and thighs and legs   separate times and temps

and do a Large St.Patrick days  corned beef  SV

this year I cold smoked the various items 

cold = still snow on the ground , and some added to the top of the Weber to keep it cool

with various hard-wood pellets with my very nice real deal  pellet tube.

Ive done 1 hour , for no particular reason

its a bit warmer now

Ive looked into cold(er) smoking times  and have noted some think that 15 min is all you need

and the rest of the time adds little to the final Slice.

what do those who have done cold-er smoking , from wood pellets or the equivalent 

think about the time that gets enough smoke into the meat

but does not let the meat hang around ?

and ref's ?

thanks in advance

• Like 1

I have found that cold smoked pork tenderloin and turkey breast don't get much more flavor after 30 minutes as compared to a hour.

I suppose it would vary with meat thickness...eg a 12" trout might smoke in even less time.

If smoke ring thickness is proportional to smoke flavor...and I can imagine that it might be...but then again , maybe not...one could plot ring thickness vs time to see minimum times.