• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Existing Conditions

weinoo

Existing Conditions is the name of the new cocktail bar co-owned by Dave Arnold, Don Lee (@donbert), and Greg Boehm.

Though she had the opening date wrong in yesterday's paper, I'll let Flo Fab take over from here. (I'm hearing May 19th).

Dave Arnold, the avant-garde cocktail master who is in partnership with Don Lee, another drinks innovator, and Greg Boehm, who founded Cocktail Kingdom, which makes and sells barware and books. They will serve some beers and wines, and can stir a proper martini, but that’s beside the point. Their drinks are listed as nonalcoholic (sophisticated, at times sparkling, and priced at $15, the same as the alcoholic selections), carbonated, shaken, stirred straight up or on a big rock. Those in a hurry can buy bottled cocktails from vending machines with a $15 token. 

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, weinoo said:

I didn't know Dave's Booker and Dax had closed.  I thought it just recently opened?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 1 month later...

Still waiting on their license, but they'll be previewing some of the stuff on their menu one day this week, via a catering license from Mace (another of one of the co-owner's bars.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Went twice this weekend. This might be my favorite bar in New York now, and in my opinion, the only one (maybe alongside Mace) highly-esteemed London Bars like Dandelyan. Between my friends and me, we tried almost the whole menu and everything was phenomenally good and very creative.

Edited by Hassouni (log)
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Hassouni said:

Between my friends and me, we tried almost the whole menu and everything was phenomenally good and very creative.

I seriously doubt I'll ever make it there from where I live but I've been a fan of Don Lee ever since I tried to recreate his Cinema Highball way back in 2010 and he showed up on my blog to comment on it and then gave me the recipe for the infusions and the drink. Turned out I was pretty close with my attempt but not exact and small things can make differences so I did it again with his instructions. Not sure how he found it but I was hugely impressed that he took the time to do that on a small, poorly maintained blog (that I've since let fall by the wayside) by a nobody in the food and drink world. 

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

It's very interesting, I went to Booker & Dax a few times, and I didn't feel the same way. Perhaps it's Don Lee's influence at EC, or a synergy created between Don and Dave?

• Like 1

On 5/13/2018 at 8:21 PM, weinoo said:

NYC permits, licenses, inspections, etc. can be a real pain in the ass.

Control-freaks rule!!!

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

6 hours ago, bos said:

Hi, Where the bar located in NYC ?

Existing Conditions

They're doing some special Sunday night dinners, with guest chefs. Best to follow them on social media to find out what's upcoming.

And next week, another interesting event called Flaming Cocktails, with David Wondrich and Dale DeGroff.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

6 hours ago, weinoo said:

Existing Conditions

They're doing some special Sunday night dinners, with guest chefs. Best to follow them on social media to find out what's upcoming.

And next week, another interesting event called Flaming Cocktails, with David Wondrich and Dale DeGroff.

Thank You 🙂

http://igodl.com/blog

Make it a great day, put a smile on your face

On 2/12/2019 at 7:04 AM, weinoo said:

Existing Conditions

Wish I could be there for that one. I had two of their red hot poker drinks

• 1 year later...