• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Down the Rabbit Hole

A pectin question was asked over on the Pate de Fruit thread in the Pastry and Baking forum - that led me to search out an old post of mine where I had made a gelee with NH pectin - in an effort to explain the texture. 

Well - that then took me back to the beginning of that particular series of threads - the Supreme eG Pastry and Baking Challenge. It started over an incident where one of the regulars back then made a snarky comment about a dessert that someone had posted (called it a little homey I seem to recall) and that got my back up a bit. 

So I started the challenge and it went for quite a while, each participant challenging the next to create a pastry or baked item within certain constraints. 

I managed to spend far too much time over the last couple of days down the rabbit hole going back over a number of the challenges - and it occurred to me that perhaps others, who had nothing better to do, might want to do the same.

So I present to you - the first installment of the The Supreme eG Pastry and Baking Challenge for your time wasting enjoyment - here.

If you have discovered other older eG content that has dragged you down that rabbit hole - why not post a link on this thread so we can all  enjoy. 

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 11

7 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

So I present to you - the first installment of the The Supreme eG Pastry and Baking Challenge for your time wasting enjoyment - here.

Those were the days, my friend. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

One of my favorites to read was by Daniel, in NY, and a pork dinner he was cooking.  I haven't been able to find it in ages, but would sure enjoy it if any of you come across it in your viewing.   

a nd like Shelby, I am a great fan of  the food blogs. Love seeing all the changes that have occurred over the years :x  

• Like 1

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

15 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

A pectin question was asked over on the Pate de Fruit thread in the Pastry and Baking forum - that led me to search out an old post of mine where I had made a gelee with NH pectin - in an effort to explain the texture. 

Well - that then took me back to the beginning of that particular series of threads - the Supreme eG Pastry and Baking Challenge. It started over an incident where one of the regulars back then made a snarky comment about a dessert that someone had posted (called it a little homey I seem to recall) and that got my back up a bit. 

So I started the challenge and it went for quite a while, each participant challenging the next to create a pastry or baked item within certain constraints. 

I managed to spend far too much time over the last couple of days down the rabbit hole going back over a number of the challenges - and it occurred to me that perhaps others, who had nothing better to do, might want to do the same.

If you have discovered other older eG content that has dragged you down that rabbit hole - why not post a link on this thread so we can all  enjoy. 

I just spent waaaaay too long reading all of these Challenge threads.  Good stuff.  I would never be able to do what those folks did.

I am kind of disappointed, though, that someone didn't tag you, Kerry :) 

I just miss online monthly challenges. The challenges here like the one mentioned in Kerry's post that wrapped up not too long before I joined eGullet (which I read through with great enjoyment as soon as I discovered it) would have been huge fun to me. The TGRWT challenges (They Go Really Well Together... unexpected ingredient pairings) and Royal Foodie Joust (dishes incorporating 3 ingredients chosen by a participant from the previous month), both of which were not eGullet initiated. They always kept me thinking and often inspired me to think in different directions than I normally may have. If I'm not mistaken, there's been a few stabs at trying to get some sort of challenge series going again here over the years but they never seem to catch on or be embraced well enough to continue. I wonder sometimes if people replace "challenge" with "competition" in their head and worry over whether they'll measure up or if it's just something that had it's time and is no longer of much interest. 

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

3 hours ago, caroled said:

One of my favorites to read was by Daniel, in NY, and a pork dinner he was cooking.  I haven't been able to find it in ages, but would sure enjoy it if any of you come across it in your viewing.   

a nd like Shelby, I am a great fan of  the food blogs. Love seeing all the changes that have occurred over the years :x  

This it?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Oh you sweet lady , yes! I couldn't remember the thread title, and tried so many combinations in he advanced search , to no avail. How far down the rabbit hole did this take you?  

• Like 2

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

1 minute ago, caroled said:

Oh you sweet lady , yes! I couldn't remember the thread title, and tried so many combinations in he advanced search , to no avail. How far down the rabbit hole did this take you?  

About 35 pages into his 136 pages of posts!

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Shelby said:

I just spent waaaaay too long reading all of these Challenge threads.  Good stuff.  I would never be able to do what those folks did.

I am kind of disappointed, though, that someone didn't tag you, Kerry :) 

Ah but I was - Round 10

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

About 35 pages into his 136 pages of posts!

Thank you Thank you Thank you. Still an enjoyable read after all this time.  Seeing how things have changed  over the years , the photography, garnishes, food styling, I love seeing that.(on another note it is lovely to see the names of so many people who aren't here anymore , being able to go back and see their posts. and  hope that they will one day drop back in for a visit.:x.)

• Like 3

17 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Such talent and fun going on there! I remember reading those challenges while they were happening and thinking, "I am not worthy to join this group!"  

I don't think any of us tagged felt worthy either. I believe pretty much everyone nominated had a holy shit moment when they were first notified.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

PS: I am a guy.

15 hours ago, Shelby said:

Oh!   I guess I messed up---I didn't see a link :)  thank you!!!  I will go down the hole again tomorrow :) 

For the life of me, I can only find the original thread, as linked in Kerry's first post. I'd love to read the lot.  Where did you find the link(s)?

5 hours ago, ElsieD said:

For the life of me, I can only find the original thread, as linked in Kerry's first post. I'd love to read the lot.  Where did you find the link(s)?

The link to the second challenge is embedded in this post, partway down the last page. I'll make it easier, though: here is an index of the entire* series: 

Round 1

Round 2.

Round 3

Round 4

Round 5

Round 6

Round 7

Round 8

Round 9

Round 10

Edited to add: *Whoops! Not the entire series. See below. Thanks, Kerry.

This is a very impressive series, and I'm glad it was pointed out. I don't think I saw this challenge when it was going!

Edited by Smithy
Added index to first 10 rounds (log)
  • Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

For me one of the most interesting things, back in the day, was the watching the creation of Alinea from the ground up. As a recently graduated culinary student, that was pure gold. 

I also went back and re-read my own food blog from that time, with bittersweet nostalgia (I was sandbagged just a year later by the failure of my marriage). My earlier, unofficial blog - which chronicled my work/school life - apparently disappeared into the ether during one of the site's early upgrades. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning