• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner Rush, the movie

Rosie

I wanted to see it but it was yanked out of theaters before I got a chance.  Guess I'll wait for the DVD...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Hmm...I wonder if we should start a new thread about restaurant movies, but to tell you the truth, I've never seen all that many of them. I never saw "Who Is Killing The Great Chefs Of Europe?", for instance.

I did see "The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover", however, and I loved that one. My roommate at the time (whom I ditched), hated it, but liked "Henry, Portrait of a Serial Killer". [Note: both movies came out around the same time, and were both rated "X" (for different reasons, of course); this was before they introduced the "new" ratings including "NC-17".] Go figure.

(Edited by franklanguage at 12:57 am on Nov. 1, 2001)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The long awaited (2+ years) DVD release of the movie Dinner Rush will be tomorrow, 21 Jan.

I'm psyched, missed it in the 3 1/2 hours it spent in theaters.

=Mark

Where did that movie come from. I began watching it a couple of weeks ago on regular TV and got hooked. The ending surprised the hell out of me. Did it go straight to video. It is worth watching. Although I expected Steven Segal to appear at some point. It just looked at the start to be one of his disposable revenge flicks. Than it seemed to become a real movie and we couldn't look away.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Good Fellas as a cooking movie? I can see the recipe:

"Start with one large head, crack open..."

=Mark

this reminds me- I was at home sick so decided it was movie time. I rented a couple of food movies I hadn't seen in awhile (tampopo and eat drink man woman) and the woman at the video store told me "ohhh if you like food movies you'll like these... and gave me "The Scent of Green Papaya" and "The Vertical Ray of the Sun". While beautiful movies, they have nothing to do with food other than a cooking scene here and there. It made me wonder what the hell that clerk was thinking of...

Born Free, Now Expensive

Just saw this photo caption in Nation's Restaurant News issue dated January 6, 2003:

Restaurateur Bert Cutino ... co-owner of Sardine Factory in Monterey, Calif., recently helped his friend, actor Danny Aiello,..., celebrate the opening of his new play, "Adult Entertainment."  Aiello just signed to do a TV series based on the movie "Dinner Rush," set in a New York restaurant. ...

Can anyone cross reference this with Variety? :wink:

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

Sorry to say but this was one of the worst restaurant movies that I have ever seen. I fell asleep watching it and always look foward to kitchen scenes to see if they're somewhat realistic. Shit, I like to try to read wine labels to see if the year is a good vintage. Maybe I should watch this again without a good bottle of red next to me. :biggrin:

Sorry to say but this was one of the worst restaurant movies that I have ever seen. I fell asleep watching it and always look foward to kitchen scenes to see if they're somewhat realistic. Shit, I like to try to read wine labels to see if the year is a good vintage. Maybe I should watch this again without a good bottle of red next to me

I thought it was awesome and one of the better movies I have seen in a very long time...