• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Overly viscous ganache—what am I missing

Pastrypastmidnight

I'll definitely work on getting the ganache thinner, perhaps with a milk or white ganache and piping it while quite thin - working faster before it crystallizes.  Also  using some of those methods to thin the PdF.  Thanks for those suggestions.  @Pastrypastmidnight Would you mind sharing what's on the bottom of the bonbon you posted?  And marshmellow - I definitely want to try marshmallow!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2020 at 1:14 AM, GRiker said:

I'll definitely work on getting the ganache thinner, perhaps with a milk or white ganache and piping it while quite thin - working faster before it crystallizes.  Also  using some of those methods to thin the PdF.  Thanks for those suggestions.  @Pastrypastmidnight Would you mind sharing what's on the bottom of the bonbon you posted?  And marshmellow - I definitely want to try marshmallow!

It’s a praliné made with graham cracker :)  

the ratio of cream with white chocolate is not the same with dark chocolate and milk chocolate.

You said: per the Valrhona method), added the butter at 34C, cooled to 29C and piped. 

you dont need to wait for it to cool to 29C just pipe it right away when you add butter! because when you use the pipe it will cool the ganache already! LOL 

Follow this recipe for lime dark chocolate ganache:

500g of good quality dark chocolate

125g of liquid cream 35%

30g of unsalted butter

1 lime 2 spoons

Fresh ginger - optional

Boil cream (with fresh ginger) no more than 90C or else it will burn your chocolate

Melt chocolate no more than 55C or else it will burn

mix them both on intakes as you mentioned

add the juice of lime and mix with your spatula. (I don't boil the lime with cream, as I want it to keep the strong flavor)

then add the butter at 35C-36C, mix with blender

pipe it right away and shake the mold with your hand dont tape it LOL.

let it set for 20-30 min till harden and cover it with tempered chocolate.

hope it will help! I do enjoy lime a lot its my favorite flavor. works great with dark and milk chocolate!

•  

Chocolate & Pastry Instructor

Chocolate Author

www.cocoachocolateganache.com