• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reduced-handle chef knives

Constantin Peters

I have been seeing knifes like this displayed in stores recently. Unfortunately, a quick search only yielded this one: http://knifenews.com/fini-cutlery-stubby-knife-handle-thinks-youve-been-holding-your-kitchen-knives-all-wrong/ which is also quite cheap. I have seen more upscale versions of the same principle for 300 EUR+.

Any of you got experiences with this kind of knife? Also I´d be happy for other resources, links, reviews, shop pages.

FINI-620x400.jpg

Edited by Smithy
Corrected title spelling (log)

Interesting. My first reaction was of course to reject it out of hand. But I’ve never tried it and I’d be very curious. I have not seen any. I still have to wonder if it’s innovation for innovation’s sake or if there is a functional advantage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Here is one of the more expensive ones I have seen. Unfortunately, the store was closed as it was easter so I could not try it out myself.

https://www.kochspass24.de/Messer/Kochmesser/Kochmesser-klein-von-GUeDE--Serie-Alpha--16-cm-Klinge-1638.html?language=de

knife.jpg

p.s.

also found this promo vid 

Edited by Constantin Peters (log)

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Interesting. My first reaction was of course to reject it out of hand.

I see what you did there.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

On 21/04/2018 at 8:25 PM, Constantin Peters said:

Certainly looks more sexy, haha. Interestingly enough, the second knife I only found by making the search in german. Maybe it is not a trend that has really crossed the pond in a major way, yet.

320 € is not cheap. Lovely knife though, in fact I think I need one. D

• Like 1

Seriously. If you want to blow a ton of money on a fancy knife, there are better options than these things. Güde makes some awesome knives, notably their serrated bread knives. I'm not sure "The Knife" is one of them. And for the money, there are hundreds of Japanese knives I'd rather buy.

Edited by btbyrd (log)
  • Like 1

On 4/21/2018 at 3:14 PM, Constantin Peters said:

Here is one of the more expensive ones I have seen. Unfortunately, the store was closed as it was easter so I could not try it out myself.

https://www.kochspass24.de/Messer/Kochmesser/Kochmesser-klein-von-GUeDE--Serie-Alpha--16-cm-Klinge-1638.html?language=de

knife.jpg

p.s.

also found this promo vid 

What I like about this knife is there is little chance my thumb will contact the knife heel.   I’ve popped a hole in my thumb many times from just barely touching the heel during food prep.  It’s one of the sharpest points on my knives 

For anything requiring precision and a sharp knife, nothing I've used can touch a Japanese Wa handle.

fullsizeoutput_13e8__07384.1516814002.jp

For heavier tasks that need a duller, sturdier chef's knife, I prefer a plain old Western handle. The exact handle size and style is unimportant. Two factors that matter: a rounded spine on the knife (so you don't get blisters) and no bolster. Traditional bolsters are stupid. They making proper sharpening impossible. My heavy German knife, which I like in other respects, had a big dumb bolster. I had Dave Martell Grind it down to get it out of the way. If I were buying a heavy knife now, I'd get a Messermeister or any lower-priced Japanese yo-deba (western handled, heavy chef's knives made for abuse). 

All these innovative handles look to me like they were created by marketing departments, or by inventors who don't really understand they're making one-trick ponies. 

Edited by paulraphael (log)
  • Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

4 hours ago, paulraphael said:

All these innovative handles look to me like they were created by marketing departments, or by inventors who don't really understand they're making one-trick ponies. 

Yet strangely that knife reminds me of a Sobakiri.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

22 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

What I like about this knife is there is little chance my thumb will contact the knife heel.   I’ve popped a hole in my thumb many times from just barely touching the heel during food prep.  It’s one of the sharpest points on my knives 

While I won't pretend that this has never happened to me, I won't pretend that it was the knife's fault.

But even if it were the knife's fault, the solution is a bolster or a Dremel, not making the blade go directly underneath your hand.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, btbyrd said:

While I won't pretend that this has never happened to me, I won't pretend that it was the knife's fault.

But even if it were the knife's fault, the solution is a bolster or a Dremel, not making the blade go directly underneath your hand.

A Dremel would be much better than a bolster. The bolster makes a knife impossible to sharpen properly. I don't understand why they continue to exist in knifeland.

• Like 2

Notes from the underbelly