• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Quevun

Quevun

22 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Until it dies out.

You can't get something from nothing.

Fire it up, and see what works best for you.

18 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Like Martin says - until it dies out. Keep in mind there is a preheat time which may be as much as an hour.

Thanks for your comments, I guess its best if I try it out and see for myself.

4 hours ago, FeChef said:

TS, so concerned about wasting charcoal. Chimney starter uses about 1lb charcoal. KBB on sale cost about $10 for 2x 18lb bags. You get that chimney starter roaring hot and toss your stir fry in for a minute or two and your done. Want to throw some cold pre cooked rice, with some peas/carrots, and a egg, with some left over chicken, pork, or shrimp? No problem. All with 1lb of KBB. 

Damn, no wonder I couldn't find any article on conserving charcoal, I didn't know it is so cheap in the US.

In the Netherlands, it costs 25 euros ($31) for one 22 lb bag.

Quevun

Quevun

22 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Until it dies out.

You can't get something from nothing.

Fire it up, and see what works best for you.

18 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Like Martin says - until it dies out. Keep in mind there is a preheat time which may be as much as an hour.

Thanks for your comments, I guess its best if I try it out and see for myself.

4 hours ago, FeChef said:

TS, so concerned about wasting charcoal. Chimney starter uses about 1lb charcoal. KBB on sale cost about $10 for 2x 18lb bags. You get that chimney starter roaring hot and toss your stir fry in for a minute or two and your done. Want to throw some cold pre cooked rice, with some peas/carrots, and a egg, with some left over chicken, pork, or shrimp? No problem. All with 1lb of KBB. 

Damn, no wonder I couldn't find any article on conserving charcoal, I didn't know it is so cheap in the US.

In the Netherlands, it costs 25 euros for one 22 lb bag.