• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chickpea grinding for hummus

jokhm

Hi everyone !

I’m tasked with a situation now where I will need to get my kitchen to output about 30kg of hummus daily.  This is a lot more than we did before and I can’t imagine using the robotcoupe Blixer unit to do things in a timely manner.  Does anyone have some better ideas?

have been eyeing one of these colloid mills. Some are marketed for ‘hummus’ but I’m not sure about that.   I also don’t want a situation where I need to input too much water when simply grinding the chickpeas. Have also tried a 2800rpm stone grinder and that seems to have unpredictable results while occasionally needing far too much water to get through everything.   Although if you put too much water in the job is done in 5 minutes!

anyway- just curious what others have tried for equipment.   And also I’ve never spoken to anyone using a colloid mill for anything so I’m not aware of any experience with this one way or another.  Although if I needed to make more peanut butter these look like the way forward!

Ya definitely the blenders would great for this kind of thing.  Before we used a really fancy robotcoupe blixer.  That could process loads of 3kg at a time.  More than enough for smaller middle eastern restaurants as a base load.  But ya, I don’t want to stress it out with 10 loads a day even if the machine only takes 3 minutes. 

Also another oddity of blenders or high speed professional food processors is that because they are just chopping things up the water absorption continues long after the final product is made.  So if you made enough to put away for the next day everything will require additional liquid to loosen up later.  

So no one had played with one of those mills?

Funny I did consider initially to just scale up the robotcoupe.  The R30 looks nice.  Holds 30 litres.   Delivery date for it is 4 months after payment and the cost for the device was $20K !

• 4 weeks later...

We still use a blixer 4vv robotcoupe for light loads occasionally. It's really completely awesome and gives you a lot of control. That being said if hummus is all you will use it for I'd stick with a larger and cheaper R-series. You forgo the fancy cover but it barely matters with the speed the things get to anyway.  For us we use it for a million things -- Really great.  Prices go a little overboard as you go up in size though.  the 4vv does a load of about 1.5KG of hummus at once. Seems I didn't have the right calculation before. But 1.5KG without shuffling things around. So I'm guessing the R8 could do close to double that. 

I looked into an R30 btw.  4 months delivery (HAAA) and about $15K. No thanks. That could be more of a China problem though.

Edited by jokhm (log)