• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Happy Discovery!

McMuffy

Hi, my name is Lynn, I’m a pastry student and lover of food. I stumbled across the forum while in the midst of a sourdough intervention and after seeing all the amazing photos and helpful tips I knew I had to join. Born and raised in the South so sweet, buttery and salty checks all my boxes, but I do attempt to cook healthy-ish whenever possible. I’m a collector of Pyrex, antique kitchen tools and vintage cookbooks. I look forward to being part of the community and being inspired by all of you! 

• Like 7

Welcome! It sounds like you'll fit right in here, with your various collections and interests. I'm getting a lot of funny mental images, but rather than describe them I'll just ask: What's a sourdough intervention? 

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Thanks for the warm welcome, I think I'm going to enjoy it here!

Intervention or exorcism...take your pick! I have been maintaining a sourdough starter since the fall, but I have only made yeast assisted breads with it or small items with the discard like crackers or waffles. I decided a month ago that I wanted to make a naturally leavened loaf and it has been a hot mess! My sourdough 'Patty' (so named for the patty melts I was hoping to enjoy on my fresh baked bread) is disobedient , lazy and overactive all at the same time. I'm still working out the kinks and actually on my 2nd fold/tuck this morning, so maybe I will have bread this evening...who knows. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McMuffy said:

Thanks for the warm welcome, I think I'm going to enjoy it here!

Intervention or exorcism...take your pick! I have been maintaining a sourdough starter since the fall, but I have only made yeast assisted breads with it or small items with the discard like crackers or waffles. I decided a month ago that I wanted to make a naturally leavened loaf and it has been a hot mess! My sourdough 'Patty' (so named for the patty melts I was hoping to enjoy on my fresh baked bread) is disobedient , lazy and overactive all at the same time. I'm still working out the kinks and actually on my 2nd fold/tuck this morning, so maybe I will have bread this evening...who knows. 

Well, you probably already know that there are a lot of sourdough enthusiasts (including me) in this forum. I hope you'll let us know how it comes out!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

5 hours ago, Smithy said:

Well, you probably already know that there are a lot of sourdough enthusiasts (including me) in this forum. I hope you'll let us know how it comes out!

This was my best attempt yet. The crumb isn't as open as I would like, but the taste and crust are spot on. I may have to pick your brain one day because I really want achieve to perfect sourdough. 

20180418_161410.jpg

20180418_155146.jpg

• Like 10