• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Hi, my name is Lynn, I’m a pastry student and lover of food. I stumbled across the forum while in the midst of a sourdough intervention and after seeing all the amazing photos and helpful tips I knew I had to join. Born and raised in the South so sweet, buttery and salty checks all my boxes, but I do attempt to cook healthy-ish whenever possible. I’m a collector of Pyrex, antique kitchen tools and vintage cookbooks. I look forward to being part of the community and being inspired by all of you! 

• Like 7

Welcome! It sounds like you'll fit right in here, with your various collections and interests. I'm getting a lot of funny mental images, but rather than describe them I'll just ask: What's a sourdough intervention? 

Thanks for the warm welcome, I think I'm going to enjoy it here!

Intervention or exorcism...take your pick! I have been maintaining a sourdough starter since the fall, but I have only made yeast assisted breads with it or small items with the discard like crackers or waffles. I decided a month ago that I wanted to make a naturally leavened loaf and it has been a hot mess! My sourdough 'Patty' (so named for the patty melts I was hoping to enjoy on my fresh baked bread) is disobedient , lazy and overactive all at the same time. I'm still working out the kinks and actually on my 2nd fold/tuck this morning, so maybe I will have bread this evening...who knows. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McMuffy said:

Thanks for the warm welcome, I think I'm going to enjoy it here!

Intervention or exorcism...take your pick! I have been maintaining a sourdough starter since the fall, but I have only made yeast assisted breads with it or small items with the discard like crackers or waffles. I decided a month ago that I wanted to make a naturally leavened loaf and it has been a hot mess! My sourdough 'Patty' (so named for the patty melts I was hoping to enjoy on my fresh baked bread) is disobedient , lazy and overactive all at the same time. I'm still working out the kinks and actually on my 2nd fold/tuck this morning, so maybe I will have bread this evening...who knows. 

Well, you probably already know that there are a lot of sourdough enthusiasts (including me) in this forum. I hope you'll let us know how it comes out!

Welcome!

I hope Patty shapes up and stops being naughty xD

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Smithy said:

Well, you probably already know that there are a lot of sourdough enthusiasts (including me) in this forum. I hope you'll let us know how it comes out!

This was my best attempt yet. The crumb isn't as open as I would like, but the taste and crust are spot on. I may have to pick your brain one day because I really want achieve to perfect sourdough. 

20180418_161410.jpg

20180418_155146.jpg

• Like 10