• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

7 hours ago, nasi goreng said:

In fact, every time you order mutton curry, you most likely get goat.

I like goat ....

That's true in many parts of the world. In fact, in many languages there is no differentiation between the two. Here in China both mutton/lamb and goat are referred to as 羊 yáng meaning 'sheep'. Only if you are a zoologist or the like then goat is 山羊shān yáng, meaning 'mountain sheep'. Every twelve years there is an argument as to whether it's the Year of the Sheep or Goat in English translation.

I like goat, too. It works with most lamb recipes, but is a bit gamier. Particularly good in curries. I at it a lot in Jamaica and in Caribbean restaurants in London. Also in India and often here in China.

liuzhou

liuzhou

12 minutes ago, nasi goreng said:

In fact, every time you order mutton curry, you most likely get goat.

I like goat ....

That's true in many parts of the world. In fact, in many languages there is no differentiation between the two. Here in China both meat/lamb and goat are referred to as 羊 yáng meaning 'sheep'. Only if you are a zoologist or the like then goat is 山羊shān yáng, meaning 'mountain sheep'. Every twelve years there is an argument as to whether it's the Year of the Sheep or Goat in English translation.

I like goat, too. It works with most lamb recipes, but is a bit gamier. Particularly good in curries. I at it a lot in Jamaica and in Caribbean restaurants in London. Also in India and often here in China.