• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lava cake or muffins

Vedvyas

Hi,

I am not at good at baking, however will do some simple baking items to introduce variety in our youth feast menus.

I am trying the lava cake. Here is my recipe.

1 kg lava mix

400 gm water 

500 gm oil (sunflower oil)

1 muffin cup holds 60 grams.

After baking for 8 to 10 min also, the middle portion remains wet or a kind of liquid stuff.

Where is the wrong in this recipe? Should I bake for more time? Forgot to capture the photos. Will post next time.

Please suggest.

Edited by Vedvyas (log)

Lava mix? I have never heard of it. Can you give a brand name so we can research it? Most mixes require fairly faithful adherence to the manufacturer' instructions.

In school, I learned that there were two different methods discovered to make lava cake pretty much at the same time. One is a fairly simple cake originally made by Chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten which was originally a fortuitous accident of making a cake incorrectly so it retained a runny center. It's pretty easy to make. The other was simply placing a frozen ball of ganache on top of the batter for each portion before baking. (it drops to the center as the cake bakes and then melts as the cake solidifies)

And then, there was the Tunnel of Fudge cake from 1966 which is related but not the same as it uses cocoa instead of chocolate.

• Delicious 1

8 hours ago, Vedvyas said:

After baking for 8 to 10 min also, the middle portion remains wet or a kind of liquid stuff.

Where is the wrong in this recipe?

That wet, liquid center is the lava.

Nothing necessarily wrong with the recipe, if you want cake that is solid in the middle, then you don’t want a lava cake! 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

That wet, liquid center is the lava.

Nothing necessarily wrong with the recipe, if you want cake that is solid in the middle, then you don’t want a lava cake! 

Oh, thanks. So this is called lava cake then. I thought it's not baked properly. 

8 hours ago, minas6907 said:

Is there a reason you'd start with a mix meant for lava cakes rather then just getting a muffin mix?

I heard about this recipe through a bakery chef , I was unable to contact him now. Earlier I did muffins , so for variety tried this lava cake.