• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tomato juice brand recommendations for Bloody Mary?

Doesn't matter which tomato juice you use in a Bloody Mary, they all pour down the drain equally well. :P I will give it a small amount of credit though, at least it's not that vile concoction known as the Bloody Caesar. Not sure why somebody thought adding clam juice to a Bloody Mary was going to improve the situation. :hmmm: :D

• Haha 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

8 minutes ago, lindag said:

The Bloody Maryis my beverage of choice.

I prefer Clamato.

And they make both for you and the large number of people who share your sentiment... enjoy!

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

My tomato-canning every summer extends to tomato juice canning. A bloody Mary made with homecanned tomato juice is an insipid, weak-looking thing, due to the high percentage of colorless tomato water in the juice. But it packs the most marvelous BIG taste wallop! I add worcestershire, horseradish, hot sauce, Lawry's seasoned salt, and black pepper. One or two of @HungryChris's pickled asparagus spears, a couple of olives on a spear, and there you are.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I stopped buying tomato juice years ago because the canned juices tasted of the can.  Maybe they've fixed that now, I know some canned food are in tins that are lined.

I would think any tomato juice in glass would be good.  I use Clamato and sometimes add Mr.  and Mrs. T Bloody Mary Mix (in a plastic bottle).

I imagine you're joking, and in theory I like the idea of foisting more interesting ingredients onto unadventurous guests, but for the record it's worth noting that there are people out there (my wife among them) with shellfish allergies so this would not be a substitution to do without notification.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/25/2018 at 8:37 AM, Craig E said:

I imagine you're joking, and in theory I like the idea of foisting more interesting ingredients onto unadventurous guests, but for the record it's worth noting that there are people out there (my wife among them) with shellfish allergies so this would not be a substitution to do without notification.

Fair point, Craig.  I promise I used Sacramento, which the Gramercy Tavern bartender told me is a decent enough cheat if you're too lazy to juice that many tomatoes.  And it was fine.  Overly salty, but fine.