• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jaymes

Jaymes

1 hour ago, heidih said:

I could certainly be wrong but the fat float as I've read about is common and desired. Along the lines of getting a bowl of pho with no little round fat droplets floatng - you are in for a flat taste.  It is not attractive to Western tastes oftentimes. Who is your customer base?

I suppose that, like most things, it depends who you're trying to please. I agree with heidi. The first thing I thought when reading about the "problem" was that those puddles are the thing that I find the most appealing and irresistible when I look at a pan of curry. 

My suggestion to you is that, before you go to great lengths to solve the problem, be sure one exists.

The obvious thing (in addition to reducing/removing some of the fat) seems to be to heat it up and give it a few more quick stirs before service.

But I'd definitely recommend that you query your customers to be sure those lovely, tasty little pools are even an issue before taking any steps to eliminate them. 

Jaymes

Jaymes

1 hour ago, heidih said:

I could certainly be wrong but the fat float as I've read about is common and desired. Along the lines of getting a bowl of pho with no little round fat droplets floatng - you are in for a flat taste.  It is not attractive to Western tastes oftentimes. Who is your customer base?

I suppose that, like most things, it depends who you're trying to please. I agree with heidi. The first thing I thought when reading about the "problem" was that those puddles are the thing that I find the most appealing and irresistible when I look at a pan of curry. 

My suggestion to you is that, before you go to great lengths to solve the problem, be sure one exists.

The obvious thing (in addition to reducing/removing some of the fat) seems to be to heat it up and give it some more quick stirs before service.

But I'd definitely recommend that you query your customers to be sure those lovely, tasty little pools are even a problem before taking any steps to eliminate them. 

Jaymes

Jaymes

1 hour ago, heidih said:

The obvious thing seems to be to heat it up and give it some more quick stirs before service.

But I'd definitely recommend that you query your customers to be sure those lovely, tasty little pools are even a problem before taking any steps to eliminate them.