• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smokeydoke

Smokeydoke

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

My meta issue, and I've probably stated this before, is that I don't believe cooking and/or eating well ought be viewed as a challenge.  I think part of the demise of a good food culture was predicated by Iron Chef, and all the shows that followed.

I wasn't going to say anything, but eating "cheap" and ignoring quality, isn't that the antithesis of eGullet? I mean, it's great if you can do it, but it seems to be an afterthought. I'd rather read about great food.

And I don't feel bad posting this, because OP can post this at any other forum and get lots of participation, but I'd like to see eGullet as Food-Network-Free as possible.

Smokeydoke

Smokeydoke

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

My meta issue, and I've probably stated this before, is that I don't believe cooking and/or eating well ought be viewed as a challenge.  I think part of the demise of a good food culture was predicated by Iron Chef, and all the shows that followed.

I wasn't going to say anything, but eating "cheap" and ignoring quality, isn't that the anti-thesis of eGullet? I mean, it's great if you can do it, but it seems to be an afterthought. I'd rather read about great food.

And I don't feel bad posting this, because OP can post this at any other forum and get lots of participation, but I'd like to see eGullet as Food-Network-Free as possible.