• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

I'm sorry,  I can't point you to any recipes, but here is a menu (PDF) of just such a cuisine which I translated about 10 years ago for a Buddhist restaurant here in town.

I don't know that these places are particularly Taiwanese. They are all over mainland China, too.

Many of the dishes use wheat gluten (seitan), as you said. Another common ingredient is konjac.

I confess I only ate there once and, while the food was interesting and certainly tasteful, I would never have been fooled that it was anything other than pretend meat. It also left my companion and I still hungry despite ordering more dishes than the waiter thought wise. We were almost the only people there and it closed a few months later. Here is what I wrote about it at the time.

After dinner, we went for greasy lamb skewers and grilled seafood at a nearby Chinese Muslim street stall!

liuzhou

liuzhou

I'm sorry,  I can't point you to any recipes, but here is a menu (PDF) of just such a cuisine which I translated about 10 years ago for a Buddhist restaurant here in town.

Many of the dishes use wheat gluten (seitan), as you said. Another common ingredient is konjac.

I confess I only ate there once and, while the food was interesting and certainly tasteful, I would never have been fooled that it was anything other than pretend meat. It also left my companion and I still hungry despite ordering more dishes than the waiter thought wise. We were almost the only people there and it closed a few months later.

After dinner, we went for greasy lamb skewers at a nearby Chinese Muslim street stall!

liuzhou

liuzhou

I'm sorry,  I can't point you to any recipes, but here is a menu (PDF) of just such a Buddhist cuisine which I translated about 10 years ago for restaurant here in town.

Many of the dishes use wheat gluten (seitan) as you said. Another common ingredient is konjac.

I confess, I only ate there once and while the food was interesting and certainly tasteful, I would never have been fooled that it was anything other than pretend meat. It also left my companion and I still hungry despite ordering more dishes than the waiter thought wise. We were almost the only people there and it closed a few months later.

After dinner, we went for greasy lamb skewers at a nearby Chinese Muslim street stall!