• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hello from CO!

moesurf

Hi everyone! I'm Mary Beth and I'm new to eGullet.  I found Pinterest lacking in higher caliber recipes so I went in search of something better and found this forum.  I consider myself an above average home cook but there is always room to learn more.  My baking skills could definitely use some improvement. I'm always after authentic recipes from around the world; the more traditional, the better! I have a soft spot for cajun food and make a pretty mean red beans and rice.   I'm currently in Colorado with my fiance and our 3 dogs.  We love traveling and mostly travel just to eat.  I've learned a lot from this group already and can't wait to learn more!

Welcome, indeed! When you travel, as you are now, do you stay in places with kitchens and cook for yourselves, or do you eat out, or are you traveling in an RV of some sort with a portable kitchen? However you do it, we love seeing the food and reading about the flavors.

I'd love to learn about your red beans and rice. I love the stuff too, but my last attempt (okay, it was red beans and orzo, with no meat) was decidedly flat. I was in a hurry, and didn't pay enough attention to the seasonings. Salsa fixed it but I need a better grip on the basic seasonings that should go into the dish. 

If you come up with questions about how to use the forums or where to find (or post) something, feel free to ask a host (I am one). The Help files can be useful, as well.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

42 minutes ago, moesurf said:

@Smithy it's all about the smoked ham hock!

Ah, that's what I was missing! :D

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown