• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great British Menu Season 7

Lisa Shock

This show just appeared on Netflix in the US. It aired in 2012 in the UK. Thought I'd start a discussion about it here.

I am only partway through, and enjoying the show very much. The contestants seem to have enough time to put out decent dishes, and the guidelines aren't terribly restrictive. (unlike Top Chef, where the chefs often have to use some commercial product while having limited access to tools and/or the kitchen) This season involves cooking for the UK Olympic team, and the guidelines state that the chefs need to show something groundbreaking and world class champion level.

IMO, the push for radical and tasty innovation in four different dishes is a bit of a stretch. Even when the chefs use a molecular pantry or new equipment, none of them is the person who thought of it first. They are trying for unique flavor combinations, and using some interesting foraged foods. But, most of them don't seem to be the type who spends hours every week developing dishes for next year's menu. I suspect that the ask may simply be too great. I mean, you look at El Bulli, for example, and they did great work there, but it wasn't quick or easy -and they had a team of people working on ideas and then execution. Some fairly simple items took a year or two to perfect. I suspect that we all have one or two tricks up our sleeves, but a goodly number of these competitors are back from previous seasons where they also served up 4 dishes. It's a lot to expect from one person.

Some competitors are doing well by playing it a bit safe with traditional dishes and flavor combinations, others are getting eliminated for it.

I also think that the fourth course, dessert, is the weakest overall so far as I have seen. Only one competitor has worked in pastry before and it shows. Most of them aren't really thinking through the dessert properly. I'll write up more comments on individual episodes in a few days.

if people don't know about this show :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_British_Menu

I have not gotten around to seeing S 12

Ive learned a lot from watching the chefs.

technique , etc.

the format has evolved over time

the show Achilles Heel is the theme

way back , the ingredients had to come from the Chef's home area , etc

over time  its developed into elaborate props that I feel detract from the food.

I do enjoy the banquet show , as you get to see what's involved in serving 4 courses to a large number of people.

early on , this show made a name for many winners.

must be quite a treat to eat in their various restaurants

I highly recommend this show.

I have all of them on a Harddrive.

you might bee able to see some segments here :

https://www.youtube.com/user/greatbritishmenu

I didn't realize so many segments were on YouTube.

Its the RealDeal RabbitHole.

Edited by rotuts (log)

It's one of my favorites, as are two other shows you can catch on YouTube that are produced by the BBC, MasterChef the Professionals and MasterChef UK.

I've been bingeing on Wild Wild Country on Netflix.

At that time, 1981, I had been an Oregonian for more than a decade and was fascinated by the Bhagwan Rajneesh and all the followers.  This documentary is not to be missed!

• Like 2

On 4/12/2018 at 5:04 PM, lindag said:

I've been bingeing on Wild Wild Country on Netflix.

At that time, 1981, I had been an Oregonian for more than a decade and was fascinated by the Bhagwan Rajneesh and all the followers.  This documentary is not to be missed!

I had to add this to my watch list... I lived in Portland at that time and the news of the Bhagwan et al. was fascinating, indeed.

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.