• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good wage for a local restaurant waiter?

CoreyG

Hey everyone :) I'm a part time mature student (have been recovering from a nasty RTC a few years ago - long story and a longer list of injuries!) I'm doing a Computing course as I've always been interested in it, and now that I can't do anything really laborious it would make sense. I've applied for a local restaurant to be a part time waiter there until I finish this course. They've offered me £7.60 an hour, which with the hours I would be doing comes out at very slightly over the personal allowance amount according to this income calculator (not considering the benefits I receive which would definitely put me over the personal allowance). Will my employer sort out taxes for me, or will I have to do it myself? I've never earned over the personal allowance limit, so not sure what happens when you leave it other than you get taxed :P Hope to hear from someone soon! 

Edited by CoreyG
Clarity (log)

£7.60 is illegal. The minimum wage for someone over 25 is £7.83. Not a lot of difference sure, but still illegal. (I'm assuming you are in the UK as you are using £, and over 25 as you describe yourself as a mature student)

I suggest you read this, but bear in mind this is the minimum legal wage. What is a good wage, I can't help you with other than to say an illegal one sure isn't.

And yes, your employer would be responsible for any tax under the PAYE system used in the UK since 1944.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 hours ago, CoreyG said:

now that I can't do anything really laborious

And waiting tables isn't laborious?  Less than some jobs, but still on your feet all day, and multiple plates can be heavy.

I don't know about wages or taxes in the UK, but good luck!

• Like 1