• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

CoreyG

CoreyG

Clarity

Hey everyone :) I'm a part time mature student (have been recovering from a nasty RTC a few years ago - long story and a longer list of injuries!) I'm doing a Computing course as I've always been interested in it, and now that I can't do anything really laborious it would make sense. I've applied for a local restaurant to be a part time waiter there until I finish this course. They've offered me £7.60 an hour, which with the hours I would be doing comes out at very slightly over the personal allowance amount according to this income calculator (not considering the benefits I receive which would definitely put me over the personal allowance). Will my employer sort out taxes for me, or will I have to do it myself? I've never earned over the personal allowance limit, so not sure what happens when you leave it other than you get taxed :P Hope to hear from someone soon! 

CoreyG

CoreyG

Hey everyone :) I'm a part time mature student (have been recovering from a nasty RTC a few years ago - long story and a longer list of injuries!) I'm doing a Computing course as I've always been interested in it, and now that I can't do anything really laborious it would make sense. I've applied for a local restaurant to be a part time waiter there until I finish this course. They've offered me £7.60 an hour, which with the hours I would be doing comes out at very slightly over the personal allowance amount according to this income tax calculator (not considering the benefits I receive which would definitely put me over the personal allowance). Will my employer sort out taxes for me, or will I have to do it myself? I've never earned over the personal allowance limit, so not sure what happens when you leave it other than you get taxed :P Hope to hear from someone soon!