• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

pastrygirl

mol d' art melter power cord

Has anyone successfully replaced the power cord on a mol d' art melter?  Is it easy or do I have to send it somewhere, and if so, where?  Thought I'd check here for DIY info before contacting TCF.

My 6kg melter has reached the point where the cord has to be in that just right position to conduct power, and just right can be elusive.  I've had it for several years so it's seen some use, am hoping it's a simple repair, i.e. can be done with a screwdriver or passed off to one of my handier brothers in exchange for candy.

thanks!

I've got a very handy husband - I'd just hand it over to him and several months later it would come back out of his shop repaired. Does your Mold'art have screws on the bottom that allow you to take it apart? If it does - it should be a quick fix. If rewiring is not something you have done before I might hand it off to the handy brother. 

Does the loose wire seem to be at the plug end or the machine end?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Several months later.  Lol @Kerry Beal  Quality cannot be rushed. 

• Like 3

Just now, gfweb said:

Several months later.  Lol @Kerry Beal  Quality cannot be rushed. 

Yeah - don't ask how long the basement has taken so far! You can't rush these things. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

@Kerry Beal  loose at the machine end.  I think the bottom unscrews, didn't actually look! 

Might just be a loose wire and quick fix. Watch for any sign there has been shorting.

13 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I've got a very handy husband - I'd just hand it over to him and several months later it would come back out of his shop repaired.

So if I send it to your husband can he do a rush order and have it back by October for busy season? xD

1 hour ago, pastrygirl said:

So if I send it to your husband can he do a rush order and have it back by October for busy season? xD

LOL - that's true! If you send it to me I'll have it done the same day.

Posted (edited)

So it’s a nut & bolt type situation, but the bolt head has a round hole.   What tool does one use to hold that in place while disengaging the nut?

Otherwise they turn together. 

73695184-011A-48BD-AE30-EC6BDDBEB7BB.thumb.jpeg.9f633c593d7c9cb6b73d2084c1e3cf87.jpeg632ECECA-9D96-4C4A-808E-907196E975EF.thumb.jpeg.b6f600262f6d520e351ed4c6b93d2e4d.jpeg

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

I think that a socket wrench of the right size will handle that - may not need anything to hold the other side. It will be metric because it's from Belgium.

It looks like you will need a set of metric hex keys for the screw with the hex shaped indentation...  Metric keys are a little hard to find in the US, but I've seen sets bundled with Imperial measures at the Home Depot.  You can either hold the nut with a socket wrench, nut driver, or even a pair of pliers.

Good eye on spotting the indentation, @KennethT . I was seeing that as a little protrusion (nub) and wondering if it was like a carriage bolt. @pastrygirl, I think most hardware stores will carry metric hex keys - by the way, they're also called Allen wrenches. You can also try a local bicycle shop, if that's closer to your location.

Yes, it’s an innie, not outie, and flush with the surface so there’s nothing to grab. It really looks round, but I’ll see if I can find a tiny hex key that will work. 

Ok, with a little determination, I got the bottom off.  No signs of smoke or anything, it's just that the wires have broken where the cord enters the machine, weakened from being bent back and forth.

Video on You Tube says cut out the bad part, strip the wires a bit, twist together, making sure it's the same side (one half of cord is grooved, one is smooth), wrap with electrical tape.  Sounds easy enough, right?  I went to college, now I just need wire strippers and electrical tape.  No husband required! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Great!  Rather than just twisting with electrical tape, I would rather use wire nuts - they're self insulating and make a better connection than just twisting wires together.  (Actually, personally, I would use a crimped connector, but that's just because I have access to them and the appropriate crimping tool - but the wire nuts would work fine). BTW, if you don't want to purchase wire strippers, in a pinch, I have used a knife - just be careful not to nick or cut any of the stranded wires

• Like 2

I've got the best wire strippers! Many fewer cuts than using a scalpel. 

Agree with the Marrette connectors - they make life so simple!

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip on the wire connectors - 48 cents, one small blister (from getting those cursed screws apart), and a little help from my friends later, and the melter powers up fine again. Hooray!  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, pastrygirl said:

Thanks for the tip on the wire connectors - 48 cents, one small blister (from getting those cursed screws apart), and a little help from my friends later, and the melter powers up fine again. Hooray!  

There is something supremely satisfying about accomplishing something like this!

• Like 5

It can also be supremely frustrating - a couple months ago, I got a vertical rotisserie... after 2 uses, it died... the autopsy revealed that the design was really stupid - the spit motor is located directly under the spit, so as you're roasting away, some grease or juices runs down the shaft and gets into the motor.  Just as I discovered this issue, the 30 day Amazon return expired...  I've been trying to find replacement motors - I've looked everywhere - I can find many similar motors with the similar speed, the same mounting, but the end of the shaft shape (where the spit plugs in) is wrong so I'd either have to remachine the spit or the motor shaft...

It's a shame because the heating elements and reflector work great.  Making a new spit myself, or redesigning how the motor interfaces with it may wind up costing more than the rotisserie did!

7 hours ago, KennethT said:

It can also be supremely frustrating - a couple months ago, I got a vertical rotisserie... after 2 uses, it died... the autopsy revealed that the design was really stupid - the spit motor is located directly under the spit, so as you're roasting away, some grease or juices runs down the shaft and gets into the motor.

I really want to ask if you're sure you weren't using it upside down... but not because I actually think you were, just because I'm a bit of a smartass. :D

• Like 1

Ha!! Here's a pic looking at the bottom of the machine...

20180331_165828.thumb.jpg.82ec6d00105f6658b0c83bfd620ccbdb.jpg

It can only go one way!

Here's it in action

20180121_185828.thumb.jpg.228c3f526b5470f1dfc5c1a01d5b3e10.jpg

You can't see the motor but the bottom of the spit looks like a flathead screwdriver and the motors shaft has a slot to accept it. Notice the chicjen grease on the spit - I expected it to run off onto the drip pan, but some just ran along the underside and down the shaft into the motor... unbeknownst to me at the time!

• Like 1

• Similar Content

• By pastrygirl
      Who here hand dips chocolates, either with their actual hand, or with a fork?

I have a side job working with a woman who hand dips everything with her fingers in a puddle of chocolate on a sheet of parchment.  She's super fast at it, I tried it but it felt so messy and awkward.  I have done a little fork-dipping, so today dipped 300+ cookies with a fork and remembered why I hate fork dipping. 

So, anyone have any pointers, tricks,  or favorite dipping forks that don't make your hand go numb?  Today I used a dinner fork, I didn't have my actual chocolate dipping forks, but they have really thin metal handles that are hard to hold onto and horrible.  I need like the Good Grips version for people with arthritis and pastry chefs who have done too much piping ...
    • By Arlene13
      Posted 1 hour ago My truffles are cracking and leaking even when dipped at room temperature. 
      I am so frustrated! Also some centres are too soft to dip unless chilled or frozen, suggestions? Also anyone have a good butterscotch truffle recipe with no icing sugar or cream cheese involved?
      thank you!
    • By BVWells
      I just wanted to thank Kerry, Steve (lebowits), Rob (gfron1) and Chocolot for taking the time out to answer so many of my questions. I haven't been working with chocolate for long and was running into a number of problems and they were so helpful. After following their advice and lots of practice I finally feel like I am getting the hang of things. Here are today's results. Waiting to be filled, but so far so good. Thank you again and hopefully I'll get to meet you guys at the workshop next year. By the way, there will be TONS of additional questions to come. lol

Branden

• By eglies
      Hi everyone I am a new chocolatier. I would like to know if anyone sells their bonbons in malls or airports and if they do, do you keep them in a fridge for chocolates? I know that chocolate is very sensitive to temperature especially bonbons...or is the air-conditioning enough?
    • By eglies
      Hello I am a new chocolatier. I am calculating my costs to come up with a budget for my new business. I need help from you guys.
      if lets say a box of 12 bonbons costs me 4 dollars including raw material and packaging, how much should your sales price be? Also how much would you charge for wholesale, assuming margin is between 20-40%?
      How much is a reasonable labour cost per hour?