• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Custom Magnetic Molds?

DJ Silverchild

I'm looking to use magnetic molds with cocoa butter transfers but everything is too small for my two bite treats.  The biggest cavity I can find is 15g but I don't like the shapes.  There isn't a plain circle or square.  Has anyone had custom magnetic molds made?  

9 minutes ago, DJ Silverchild said:

I'm looking to use magnetic molds with cocoa butter transfers but everything is too small for my two bite treats.  The biggest cavity I can find is 15g but I don't like the shapes.  There isn't a plain circle or square.  Has anyone had custom magnetic molds made?  

I've never heard of anyone having custom magnetic molds made. Don't see why it couldn't be done though. Contact Tomric and Micelli and see who might be able to do it for you.

7 minutes ago, DJ Silverchild said:

I agree with you about the shapes. There are very few that hold enough for two bites--and that is the kind of chocolates I try to make. The familiar scalloped circle is one, and the rectangle with cut-off edges is another. I can tell you that the plain one I have (a cube), which is quite small, does not unmold well--it tends to show release marks much more than other molds.  I don't know whether that is a result of the plainness or perhaps my lack of skill. I have used the Chocolate World oval and teardrop shapes, and they make a larger piece than many others.

I have had a non-magnetic mold made, and I can tell you that if you could find someone to make a magnetic one, you would pay an astronomical amount of money, given how much more expensive magnetic molds are than the others. The tooling fees are what get you; the individual mold cost is not that bad--but just imagine the tooling involved in a magnetic mold.

• Like 1