• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Broiling Tofu

heidih

I do not recall where I got the tip but holy heck  all that pan fry or whatever..  And the elaborate weightingt down... Push down on it a bit to get some water out, towl off, cut up, marinate briefly and....................broil = second rack down. Crusted outside, creamy inside YES I gobbled recent batch before photo op ;0

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title (log)
  • Like 3

Well thank you for your input.  Tofu is used in various ways for diffferent textures. Is there one you enjoy? I was pretty much done wth people today - you tipped the scale

• Like 2

2 hours ago, heidih said:

I do not recall where I got the tip but holy heck  all that pan fry or whatever..  And the elaborate weightingt down... Push down on it a bit to get some water out, towl off, cut up, marinate briefly and....................broil = second rack down. Crusted outside, creamy inside YES I gobbled recent batch before photo op ;0

I recently had - as part of a full banquet - a dish of soft tofu cubes, maybe 1.5" side length, hollowed out a bit and stuffed with minced meat and dried mushrooms. They were dusted with starch, broiled on one side before being inverted onto a bed of sliced onions. Broiled again until well browned and the onions were done. Some soy sauce was drizzled over and I guess there was a bit of sugar added, though the onions might have been sweet enough. It was truly excellent (and I asked my host to inquire the preparation, which you read above).

I like to use extra firm tofu, I generally press for a couple of minutes to get the excess water out but don’t have patience for much more. Marinate for a bit, slice into squares around 1/2” thick and bake on a rimmed pan lined with non-stick alum foil at 400 degrees until the outside browns, turning it once. Have also done it in a non-stick grill pan. I don’t do any frying at home and this method is better for tofu eaten cold, as I often put it on a salad.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

1 hour ago, heidih said:

Well thank you for your input.  Tofu is used in various ways for diffferent textures. Is there one you enjoy? I was pretty much done wth people today - you tipped the scale

I was actually being serious. Its like a really, really fried egg. I was given by mistake tofu w/broccoli and thought they added really thick fried eggs to it, till i realized my chicken w/broccoli was missing chicken.

• Like 1

I must admit I've never tried broiling it- always sautee, bake, deep fry, stir fry, or using soft silken as a sauce base. I'll have to experiment with that.