• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Elmhurst eateries

Pan

Hi, everyone. A couple of friends of mine want to have dinner in Elmhurst on Monday. One of them goes to Coco all the time but wants to go to another place, and the other one proposed Eim Khao Mun Kai, but they serve only Hainanese chicken rice and I'm on a low-carb diet, so though I could cheat a little, a specifically rice dinner is a little much for me right now.

Do you have any favorite places in Elmhurst, with a preference for places that have some good vegetable dishes or sides, among other dishes?

Michael aka "Pan"

Looks like we've settled on Boon Chu. One of my friends says he got raw food at Ayada. Probably a freak occurrence, but I can understand how that could be off-putting.

Michael aka "Pan"

17 hours ago, Pan said:

One of my friends says he got raw food at Ayada. Probably a freak occurrence, but I can understand how that could be off-putting.

Was it this: http://eatthisny.com/2010/01/07/tony-100-best-09/14-raw-shrimp-salad-at-ayada/ ?  That is yummy!  

• Like 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

• 2 weeks later...

There's also the possibility of a dish I've had at Ayada that almost looks and feels raw, though it's not...one of the northern Thai sausage dishes, I believe it was. E-Sarn, or sour sausage. Very loose, delicious, but texturally, ummmm, interesting.

Sorry I didn't get back to you before you went - I'm sure, @Pan if you go to Ayada, you'll be happy.

I personally enjoy the salads (crispy catfish), the soups, the curries...

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I'm familiar with the dish you're describing. I think I had it at Chao Thai at some point, or if not, somewhere else.

Michael aka "Pan"