• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How much of an effect do stocks really have?

Quevun

22 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

For commercial stock/glace, there is no beating More Than Gourmet's products. They're basically made from Escoffier's recipes, contain a boatload of gelatin, no added salt, and are highly concentrated. I keep their roasted chicken stock and their roasted beef stock (glace de viande) on hand at all times. I get it in 16oz containers from Amazon. It keeps essentially forever in the fridge. For. Ever. Their website has a bunch of recipes for quick sauces. It's also useful to fortify other stocks or soups. One of the best things in my pantry.

I have half a container of their demi glace in the refrigerator.  I should remember to use it before forever.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

39 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

For commercial stock/glace, there is no beating More Than Gourmet's products. They're basically made from Escoffier's recipes, contain a boatload of gelatin, no added salt, and are highly concentrated. I keep their roasted chicken stock and their roasted beef stock (glace de viande) on hand at all times. I get it in 16oz containers from Amazon. It keeps essentially forever in the fridge. For. Ever. Their website has a bunch of recipes for quick sauces. It's also useful to fortify other stocks or soups. One of the best things in my pantry.

Escofier's recipes? Those were written back when veal grew on trees. Maybe not literally. 

• Haha 1

Notes from the underbelly

1 hour ago, btbyrd said:

That's the stuff I was calling demiglace gold. Great product. 

@Okanagancook  Here is a picture of a couple.  They are the 1 1/2 ounce size.  I have had others as well - the lamb one is great when making a lamb stew or the gravy for lamb shanks.  You can order directly from them.  Sorry, the picture doesn't want to go right side up.

20180408_172742.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

There must be something wrong here that's not accounted for in the usual differences between US prices and Canadian. At Amazon.com, it's US $23.44.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

7 minutes ago, Dave the Cook said:

There must be something wrong here that's not accounted for in the usual differences between US prices and Canadian. At Amazon.com, it's US $23.44.

Resellers set their own price.  And the quoted price does not even include shipping which is over $30.

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, paulraphael said:

Another source of minimalist stock is plain old sous-vide bag juices. I accumulate them in the freezer to add them to stock, but in a pinch have used them in place of stock. The flavor is pure and intense. Definitely benefits from some onion / shallot, and wine or other spirit, and it needs acid. But a little goes a long way, the flavors can be pushed in whatever direction you want.

It's even better if you gently heat the juices so that the proteins coagulate and then strain. It gives an extremely pure flavour.

Edited by nickrey (log)
  • Like 1

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

1 hour ago, nickrey said:

It's even better if you gently heat the juices so that the proteins coagulate and then strain. It gives an extremely pure flavour.

Giving that a try right now.  Had s-v lamb chops for dinner... mixed bag juice about 1:1 with boiling water and heated on the stove until crystal clear.    Now in ice cube tray for my next batch of scotch broth.  

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

9 hours ago, btbyrd said:

Add a dollop every time you braise something. You'll manage to use it up before forever.

I'm preparing Sakonlis Khorzis Kharcho* as we speak.  I found the demi glace and added in a dollop.

*Georgian spiced beef and walnut stew

• Like 1

18 hours ago, nickrey said:

Oh yeah, that's mandatory. The albumin will curdle. But it doesn't bring bad flavors with it, so if it's a sauce I'm planning to strain, I might just strain the globs out at the end. 

Notes from the underbelly

53 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

Oh yeah, that's mandatory. The albumin will curdle. But it doesn't bring bad flavors with it, so if it's a sauce I'm planning to strain, I might just strain the globs out at the end. 

I thought about this last night as I added the bag drippings to my stew.  But in the end I didn't strain I just dumped the juices in.