• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Must-have morsels...

tukicook

Do any of you guys have those places (I'm sure you do) where whenever you're walking/driving past you just have to slip in & grab one of their signature wares? Whether it be providore, bakery, cafe, restaurant, take away joint, coffee shop, whatever.... Mine is a place in Melbourne, Australia, an old Greek cafe who have been infamous for their spanokopita for 30 yrs or so... Maybe it's the familiar kitsch fitout that hasn't been changed for years? Maybe the famil(y)iar service staff? Maybe the fact that the price has gone up only marginally since I was an apprentice & lived around the corner over 20 years ago? The product isn't amazing, but it's super tasty, super consistent, & perfectly smashable as a one-hander whilst enroute to somewhere nearby...

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title (log)
  • Like 1

" I'd rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotamy" - Tom Waits

I don't know that it qualifies under your definition, but there's a restaurant in Memphis, the Cupboard, where I've been eating vegetable plates for 40 years, always with eggplant casserole and cucumber salad. (the other two choices will vary). Definitely not smashable one-handed, though.  And, though it's now lamentably closed, there was the old Federal Bakeshop, where I learned to love coconut macaroons.

A classic in that category, though -- the Slugburger from Corinth, MS, and environs.

There's Jerry's Sno-Cones in Memphis. Handle-able one-handed, albeit occasionally messy if you don't eat fast enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

What comes to mind for me is the McDonald's Sausage Biscuit.  We'd often stop by on the way to Mt. Bachelor or Mt. Hood Meadows for skiing.  This is not the sausage biscuit with egg, however, it's not as good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1