• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Borsh (or Borsch, Borscht, Borsht, Bortsch...) - cooked on open fire

ImportantElements

Hey guys, 

Im pretty sure many of you awesome people love soups. And Im sure you guys love cooking on open fire as well :)

Growing up in Russia there was always one soup that was enjoyed by so many people. And Im actually surprised to know that a lot of people in the west know about Borsh. Though for some reason I never understood why some people spelled it with a "t" at the end. Like Borsht hahahaha. 

To be honest I never cared or liked beets in any shape or form. But the pretty red color always looked beautiful in this soup, or even in a salad. I always wanted to like the beets and "Borsht". But most of the family style recipes had a very strong taste of beets that turned me away. As a kid my mom realized that I wasnt a big fan of beets, but I do love sauerkraut, or any fermented cabbage. So she always made me a nice version of this classic Ukrainian soup with sauerkraut. 

As I got older, the taste for beets started to grow on me, and not long ago I actually decided to modify and make a version of this crazy soup with my own little twist. Well... more like a big twist hahaha. 

The key ingredient in this soup is of course the BEETS. Beautiful crimson beets. However, the importance of the broth I think is bigger. There is no correct way to make a broth for it. Some people like beef, some people like pork, and some even use just chicken. I like all 3 of those animals, and I mix them all :)

On top of that, I add sauerkraut to it for that extra tangy taste. Just a few weeks ago, I made a batch of it from scratch and recorded a video. If you guys are in a mood to try a new kind of soup, be sure to check it out. 

Cheers good friends 

If any of you decide to make it, please share photos and videos as well :) Would love to see your version 

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title to include common variants on spelling (log)
  • Like 5

Food blogging zombie

My Instagram

My YouTube Channel

Great video.  A different style than what my Babcia used to make, hers was a much simpler construction.   Oh and, sour cream all the way!  Big spoonful right in the middle.

Did you do anything with the leftover meats from the broth?

(Oh and, your friend ever so slightly reminds me of a cheerful David Letterman LOL)