• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Aid K45 Stand Mixer Repair Centers?

CentralMA

Greetings.

I've a 50+ year old Kitchen Aid K45 that's been sitting in the basement unused for the past 20 years or so. Was purchased new by my mother. Plugged it in to assess the device, in order to pass it along to my youngest.

The machine makes a progressively louder grinding/clattering noise, under no load, no attachments, as the speed is increased. 

I've spent some time on the web looking at videos showing replacement part installs, cleaning and re-greasing, general troubleshooting. The brushes appear to be at 70% new. It appears pretty straight forward to disassemble and maintain...but does anyone have a real life scenario (or horror stories)? 

Or does anyone have a recommended mom and pop appliance repair shop in the Central Massachusetts area? I'm willing to travel a reasonable distance.

All help and replies much appreciated.

Unless you're quite uncomfortable with the idea, I'd suggest working on it yourself. It's not very hard, and as you've discovered, the web is full of how-to instructions and videos. One of the great things about these mixers is that every replacement part is available. And they're reasonably priced. You'll probably have to get at least one specialized tool, like a snap-ring plier (I'm not sure about this ... it was required for the mixer model that I have). And be warned that it's messy. There's going to be around a pound of 50 year-old, caked-on grease inside that thing. 

You can replace the grease with a modern synthetic that works better and lasts longer, and will help the machine run even better than new. 

I have a different relationship with my mixer after having fixed it. It's not mysterious anymore. It's more personal ... almost as if I'd made thing from scratch.

Notes from the underbelly