Duck Leg Confit Potstickers
Serves 4 as Appetizer.
These are seriously decadent potstickers.
I devised this recipe as part of a Duck Three Ways dinner wherein over the course of three days I dismantled a whole duck using various parts for various things, including rendering fat, making stock and confiting the legs. If you're super-ambitious and do it my way, you'll have duck stock and duck fat on hand as this recipe calls for; otherwise, substitute chicken stock and peanut oil or whatever you have on hand.
2 confited duck legs, bones discarded and meat shredded
2 c sliced shiitake caps
1/2 c sliced scallions
splash fish sauce
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
1 tsp grated fresh garlic
pinch Five Spice powder
pot sticker wrappers
3 c duck stock
3 T duck fat
1. Saute shiitakes in duck fat over high heat until most liquid has evaporated and they are beginning to brown.
Meanwhile, reduce about 1 C duck stock in a small saucepan over medium heat until it's almost syrupy in consistency and tastes sweet.
Also, warm a couple of cups of unreduced duck stock over low heat in another saucepan.
2. Combine mushrooms, duck meat, scallions, fish sauce, ginger, garlic and Five Spice powder in a bowl.
3. Place a teaspoon or so of the duck mixture in the center of a potsticker wrapper; wet half of the edge with water and seal, pinching and pleating one side.
If you prepare more potstickers than you're going to want to eat, they can be frozen on cookie sheets then put into freezer bags for later.
4. When all potstickers are sealed, heat a flat-bottomed pan over medium-high heat, melt enough duck fat to thinly cover the bottom, then add the potstickers.
5. Cook undisturbed until the bottoms are browned, 3-5 minutes, then enough unreduced duck stock to cover the bottom of the pan about 1/2 inch deep and cover the pan.
6. Cook until most liquid is absorbed, then uncover and cook until remaining liquid evaporates.
While potstickers are cooking, make a dipping sauce by combining the reduced duck stock 1:1 with soy sauce, then adding a little rice vinegar, brown sugar (if the duck stock isn't sweet enough), and sesame oil.
Serve potstickers immediately when done.
Keywords: Hors d'oeuvre, Appetizer, Intermediate, Duck, Dinner, Chinese
( RG2052 )