• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shoot it, catch it, harvest it ...

The clam beds finally opened up yesterday for the first time in months. Low tide was around 10:30 AM and I was there. I went home with a little over 7 dozen, a mixed bag of middle necks and little necks. For the first hour, my only companion was a striper fisherman, but by the time I left there were 2 other clammers.

HCDSCN0467.thumb.JPG.24b6c575420929c9a3ffea880f471875.JPGDSCN0466.thumb.JPG.b32c2439dbd21050aa2da783b73d010a.JPG1101180936-01.thumb.jpg.c33495fe2a3af516f1f850d1253b2412.jpgIMG_2584.thumb.JPG.59eceaee6681488dc972c6b8e2509c2a.JPG

• Like 6

@HungryChris

I envy your Clamming.

I used to be a Great-Fisher-Man 

tied my own flies , used a 7 All Rounder etc

I think over my fishing Career I caught about 3 - 4 fish i could actually eat.

but Had a good time. near my place now all fish are radio-active.

was invited to go Salmon Fishing in NovaScotia a few times , but it never fit my schedule.

Clamming seems more productive.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Deer Hunting Season- opening day here. 25 minutes into the hunt, hubby and the 13yo daughter got #1.   Not quite as big as the one last year, but darn good in size.    

We have 6 more tags .....shall see how the afternoon hunt goes! 

• Like 6

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

I just unpotted some ornamental sweet potato and found a bunch of gnarly sweet potatoes in the planter.

Go figure. 

Anyway, the inter webs consensus is that they are edible but not tasty. 

Anyone have experience?

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

I just unpotted some ornamental sweet potato and found a bunch of gnarly sweet potatoes in the planter.

Go figure. 

Anyway, the inter webs consensus is that they are edible but not tasty. 

Anyone have experience?

That's a new take on foraging!

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 11/1/2018 at 3:09 PM, rotuts said:

@HungryChris

I envy your Clamming.

I used to be a Great-Fisher-Man 

tied my own flies , used a 7 All Rounder etc

I think over my fishing Career I caught about 3 - 4 fish i could actually eat.

but Had a good time. near my place now all fish are radio-active.

was invited to go Salmon Fishing in NovaScotia a few times , but it never fit my schedule.

Clamming seems more productive.

I fish a good bit...in spurts...don't eat many, maybe 1 every decade or so...they have to die from the fight or I throw the trouts  back.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Nearing the end of deer hunting season now.  After arriving home from a business trip this evening, hubby headed straight out to the blind.  And sure enough, 10 minutes in the blind, and we heard a shot fired.   Hubby bagged No. 2 for the season.   He's out gutting it right now, as I have tired of that process   a bit over the past few years.  I don't mind skinning and butchering the meat. But, I am battling a pinched nerve in my right hand/arm/shoulder, and I feel like it just needs rest, so I can get on with the booming chocolate business. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

1 hour ago, ChocoMom said:

Nearing the end of deer hunting season now.  After arriving home from a business trip this evening, hubby headed straight out to the blind.  And sure enough, 10 minutes in the blind, and we heard a shot fired.   Hubby bagged No. 2 for the season.   He's out gutting it right now, as I have tired of that process   a bit over the past few years.  I don't mind skinning and butchering the meat. But, I am battling a pinched nerve in my right hand/arm/shoulder, and I feel like it just needs rest, so I can get on with the booming chocolate business. 

You kill it, you clean it

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

@HungryChris  with the rains lately did the beds reopen?

Because the area I like most  is in a river "tidal estuary", if we get an inch or more of rain, within a 24 hour period, the clam beds will be closed for two weeks. At that time, they harvest some sample clams over the whole area and send them to the lab. If the clams are healthy and harmful bacteria free, they will open the beds. Unfortunately, it has rained so much in the past several months, the beds have not been open very often. Right now, it is a race against the ice to see if I will get out there any time soon.:(

HC

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

This is an Australian salmon -- no relation (well, ignoring the one all fish have) to actual salmon. I caught this about a week ago and turned it into Thai-style fish cakes. I was very happy with the end result, and failed to see why these fish have a bad reputation. Perhaps it's in the handling -- I bled it straight away and had it cleaned and in the fridge within ~30 minutes. 

They're a lot of fun to catch, too.

salmon.jpg

• Like 2

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between