• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Polycarbonate Molds for Sale

Jim D.

I had custom injection polycarbonate molds for chocolates made for me by Tomric Plastics. I had found that the demisphere (or hemisphere or half-sphere, whichever term you prefer) is the easiest shape to decorate but that the available molds (at least the ones I could locate) were either too small or much too large, thus the custom mold. The overall mold size is 275mm x 175mm (about 10.8" x 6.9"); each cavity is 34mm in diameter x 17mm in depth (about 1.3" x 0.7") and makes a chocolate weighing approximately 12 grams. The bonbons made in these molds have proved extremely easy to decorate and to unmold. Unfortunately the minimum order was 100 molds, and I am interested in selling about half of them (the molds for sale are new,  never used). I would strongly prefer orders of a minimum of 3 molds. The cost per mold is $21 plus shipping (which will be the least expensive rate for U.S. Priority Mail). Payment will be via Paypal. For any questions or orders, please use the eGullet personal messaging system (click on my name).

mold1.jpg.5be74ef22fb98a7c13f348fdfd0c7472.jpg     mold2.jpg.fe5327e3c8d08a39bf98107407237aaa.jpg

mold3.jpg.3577946643c50243bcaac4409989c4bf.jpg

On 4/4/2018 at 10:09 PM, Jim D. said:

Sorry, I'm not going to the workshop.

I'd love a few myself - who lives close to you that is coming to the workshop?

1 minute ago, Kerry Beal said:

I'd love a few myself - who lives close to you that is coming to the workshop?

As luck would have it, tikidoc does. She is tentatively planning to pick hers up at my house on a trip to Kentucky. If she has hers mailed instead, the shipping is low as she is not far away--a rough calculation was about $12 for 5-6 molds (depending on how many boxes it takes to fit them).

I am so glad that you are ordering some. I was worried that you didn't have enough molds already! ;)

• Like 2

Perfect - I'll talk to her and see if she can bring some along to me and I'll paypal the funds to you! I need them like I need a hole in the head - but I appreciate the bigger size.

• Like 1

I’d be happy to bring some up, Kerry. I’m not sure if I’m going to swing by Jim’s on my Kentucky trip or have him ship them, but I’m driving to Niagara, so bringing them up is no problem.

I wish this had come up sooner. I've already started investing in the dome molds I decided to go with as my primary mold so I feel like I should stick with it... but I like the look of these. 

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

29 minutes ago, tikidoc said:

I’d be happy to bring some up, Kerry. I’m not sure if I’m going to swing by Jim’s on my Kentucky trip or have him ship them, but I’m driving to Niagara, so bringing them up is no problem.

Just to let you know:  I just finished packing 4 molds to go to Wisconsin, and shipping (Priority Mail) was $14.15.

On 4/6/2018 at 5:40 PM, Kerry Beal said:

Not sure the number that Jess wants - what size boxes do you have to pack in? Wonder how many would fit in of the large priority mail flat rate boxes?

The latest from Jess is that she wants more molds and will probably pick them up. The problem with the flat rate boxes is that, with fairly light-weight items and short distances, flat rate costs considerably more than just priority mail. I learned this from (expensive) experience with shipping chocolates. I shipped a box flat rate weighing a little more 1 lb. to Canada, and it cost around $60--twice what it would have been if I hadn't used the flat-rate box. I have now bought some boxes so that I can ship lighter items non-flat rate. I know, this is irrelevant information in terms of shipping molds, but thought it might be interesting to others.

Edited by Jim D.
To correct typo (log)

7 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

The latest from Jess is that she wants more molds and will probably them up. The problem with the flat rate boxes is that, with fairly light-weight items and short distances, flat rate costs considerably more than just priority mail. I learned this from (expensive) experience with shipping chocolates. I shipped a box flat rate weighing a little more 1 lb. to Canada, and it cost around $60--twice what it would have been if I hadn't used the flat-rate box. I have now bought some boxes so that I can ship lighter items non-flat rate. I know, this is irrelevant information in terms of shipping molds, but thought it might be interesting to others.

Interesting. I thought that shipping within the US you could determine the flat rate cost between regions and it was cheaper than your own packaging. Assumption - you know what they say!

Anyway - once you know for sure she is picking them up I can send payment via paypal.

Clearly I’m behind on the selling game as I completely overlooked this “Classifieds” Forum!  That’s what I get for glossing over all the other forums and going directly to “Pastry & Baking” haha. :P

On 4/14/2018 at 3:58 PM, pastryani said:

Clearly I’m behind on the selling game as I completely overlooked this “Classifieds” Forum!  That’s what I get for glossing over all the other forums and going directly to “Pastry & Baking” haha. :P

I was about to do the same (that's what the eGullet instructions said to do--post on the most appropriate forum), but I guess this new forum was established for classifieds.

3 hours ago, Jim D. said:

I was about to do the same (that's what the eGullet instructions said to do--post on the most appropriate forum), but I guess this new forum was established for classifieds.

Ah Jim, you're sweet for not singling me out. xD. Well, now I know!

Will miss you at the workshop this year.  

• Like 2

On 4/18/2018 at 12:46 PM, Miriam G said:

Hi Jim,

If there are still some available, I'd be interested in purchasing.

Many thanks,

Miriam

Yes, I still have some. Send me a personal message telling me how many you would like, plus your email address and shipping address. I'll send you an invoice from Paypal.

Jim

• 4 years later...
  • 6 months later...