• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

This topic hasn't been broached in a while, so I figured I'd start a new specific thread, to hear about what you all are doing with pasta these days.

Significant Eater and I recently returned from a trip to Florence and Rome, and whenever we travel, I get inspired to cook like we ate "over there."  So since traveling to Italy means pasta at practically every meal for me; not for the main course, but as a primi, and I'm making lots of pasta at home these days.  Oh, I mean pasta sauces, which I use on high-quality dried pasta.

Our first night in Florence, I had what I consider the best sugo di carne I'd ever tasted...in that case, on pappardelle.  And I'm trying to replicate it, getting close but not quite as good as that one.

It's an involved process, and I'm pretty much following a recipe from what I consider an iconic cookbook I own, Giuliano Bugialli's 1977 work,  The Fine Art of Italian Cooking.

I saw some beautiful beef at the store yesterday, so I bought a hunk and stuck it in the freezer for a while, to make it easier to hand chop. The prep for this dish took like an hour...

26356825157_5691022115_z.jpg

The sauce contains said beef, olive oil, onions, carrots, celery, garlic, parsley, red wine, tomato paste, tomatoes, dried porcini and their soaking liquid, stock as necessary, s & p. After a few hours of almost covered simmering, it ends up like so...

26356826457_5f1df9ca5e_c.jpg

I like to use it on penne or mezze rigatoni, (Setaro brand, in this case).  It's better over the course of the next day or two, so we didn't have it last night, but it sure tastes good.

And you?

weinoo

weinoo

This topic hasn't been broached in a while, so I figured I'd start a new specific thread, to hear about what you all are doing with pasta these days.

Significant Eater and I recently returned from a trip to Florence and Rome, and whenever we travel, I get inspired to cook like we ate "over there."  So since traveling to Italy means pasta at practically every meal for me; not for the main course, but as a primi, and I'm making lots of pasta at home these days.  Oh, I mean pasta sauces, which I use on high-quality dried pasta.

Our first night in Florence, I had what I consider the best sugo di carne I'd ever tasted...in that case, on pappardelle.  And I'm trying to replicate it, getting close but not quite as good as that one.

It's an involved process, and I'm pretty much following a recipe from what I consider an iconic cookbook I own, Giuliano Bugialli's 1977 work,  The Fine Art of Italian Cooking.

I saw some beautiful beef at the store yesterday, so I bought a hunk and stuck it in the freezer for a while, to make it easier to hand chop. The prep for this dish took like an hour...

26356825157_5691022115_z.jpg

The sauce contains said beef, olive oil, onions, carrots, celery, garlic, parsley, red wine, tomato paste, tomatoes, dried porcini and their soaking liquid, stock as necessary, s & p. After a few hours of almost covered simmering, it ends up like so...

26356826457_5f1df9ca5e_c.jpg

I like to use it on penne or mezze rigatoni, (Setaro brand, in this case).  It's better over the course of the next day or two, so we didn't have it last night, but it sure tastes good.

And you?