• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

MasterChef offends Malaysians

Anna N

Here.

Malaysians are up in arms over a judge who finds fault with a chicken rendang preparation. 

Edited by Anna N
To fix logic (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

" However, the chicken skin isn't crispy. It can't be eaten and all the sauce is on the skin so I can't eat it," Mr Wallace remarked. "

'Can't' does not seem like the appropriate word here.  Yes of course crispy chicken skin is usually delicious while soft, flaccid cooked chicken skin is less crave-able.  But can't eat it?  People with serious aversions to food textures probably shouldn't be food-contest judges.  Sure, we all have our limits - mushy bananas, okra, whatever - but a food judge should be able to take a small taste of anything properly cooked.   Top Chef judges chose not to eat raw lake trout due to potential parasites, but Tom will still choke down okra if chefs opt to serve it.

• Like 2

soft, flaccid cooked chicken skin is loved all over Asia... I've never seen chicken cooked without its skin, and most of the time, it's in some kind of stew or sauce that keeps the skin soft.  I've also never seen it discarded or not eaten.  In my experience, it's also rare to see boneless chicken as well (although the bones are discarded - typically after being chewed and cleaned).  So I think the judge's aversion is more of a cultural thing, or maybe the judge being an a$$hole thing*

* I didn't watch the episode or the clip, so I can't make a statement about the judge, but it seems like an a$$holic thing to say...

• Like 4

There's a reason why it's popular - my mother got keen on Malaysian and Indonesian cooking long ago, but rendang was the one she was still making a decade later, partly because it  is the perfect dish for a crowd. Rich, a bit sour, aromatic...

If you want to use desiccated coconut, take a hard look at the quality - it often seems old, dry, and tasteless in western supermarkets.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, KennethT said:

soft, flaccid cooked chicken skin is loved all over Asia... I've never seen chicken cooked without its skin, and most of the time, it's in some kind of stew or sauce that keeps the skin soft.  I've also never seen it discarded or not eaten.  In my experience, it's also rare to see boneless chicken as well (although the bones are discarded - typically after being chewed and cleaned).  So I think the judge's aversion is more of a cultural thing, or maybe the judge being an a$$hole thing*

* I didn't watch the episode or the clip, so I can't make a statement about the judge, but it seems like an a$$holic thing to say...

Exactly. I agree with everything you say, although I do have a few Chinese friends and colleagues who, like me, don't particularly care for soft skin. One close friend's mother, now sadly departed*, always liked to sit beside me at dinner and grab the bits of skin I discarded. In exchange she would give me the white meat, which she thought worthless**. It became a family joke. And yes, everything on the bone. I prefer that, too.

I've never seen the show nor wanted to, but the guy does sound a bit of a dick.

* The departure was not at all chicken skin related.
** It's not my favourite. I'm a leg man. But not worthless. I mean the white meat is not worthless;  I may be.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto