• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Freeze Dried Fruit Powder

Chester86

Hey everyone! I have searched online for a company that offers freeze dried fruit and powders to use in my chocolates. 

Can you please share with me the online sources or stores you use? 

I don’t need bulk but smaller Quanities. 

If you want small quantities at a reasonable price - check you local Trader Joe's if you are in the US. You can grind the fruit to a powder as required.

• Like 4

I have a few from Nuts.com, and am pleased with the flavor.  The site carries a nice selection over 20 different powders) in small portions. I do suggest sifting some of the powders a bit, as I have come across seeds in the raspberry powder.   

• Like 1

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

6 hours ago, ChocoMom said:

I have a few from Nuts.com, and am pleased with the flavor.  The site carries a nice selection over 20 different powders) in small portions. I do suggest sifting some of the powders a bit, as I have come across seeds in the raspberry powder.   

Thanks for the advice!

I would have to buy specifically through a online retailer...I live in the middle of nowhere North Dakota!  Thanks for all the help and I will be checking out the sources you all have provided!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Sweet Impact Mama said:

On the subject of freeze dried fruit powders in chocolates... has anyone done any testing to see what affect they have on a truffle's shelf life? 

As they are by definition dry, I don't think they would add any moisture whatever to the filling, so the water activity (Aw) is unlikely to be affected. The biggest culprits in my experience are with ganaches that have too high a proportion of cream to chocolate and with what are essentially water ganaches, where a fruit purée is substituted for cream.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim D. said:

As they are by definition dry, I don't think they would add any moisture whatever to the filling, so the water activity (Aw) is unlikely to be affected. The biggest culprits in my experience are with ganaches that have too high a proportion of cream to chocolate and with what are essentially water ganaches, where a fruit purée is substituted for cream.

Right. I'm more wondering if something needs to be done to keep them from drawing what little moisture is in a truffle to themselves, and causing the truffle to dry out too quickly. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Chester86 said:

Has anyone tried to make their own fruit powders?

I am going to attempt to make some from Rhubarb this next spring... any tips would be helpful!

Just buy some freeze dried fruits and put in food processor.  Drying your own, unless you have a freeze drier will work, but not as well.

• Like 2

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com