• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Daikon

Schielke

My favorite recipe for grated daikon (I make this a lot!)

Japanese spinach salad  (sorry, I am not very creative with names)

Boil until tender

1 bunch of spinach

rinse under cold water, drain sqeezing out excess water, and season with

a sprinkling of mirin, soy sauce, and dashi (if you don't have the mirin or dashi don't worry about it.)

remove the seeds (and skin if you like), then dice

1 tomato

grate enough daikon to equal 1 cup (about 1/3 to 1/2 a daikon)

this should be a very fine grating, similar to grated ginger

drain off the excess liquid, I place it into a cheesecloth and wring it out gently.

In  a bowl stir together

3 Tablespoons rice vinegar

1 Tablespoon sugar

stir until dissolved, then add the chopped tomato and grated daikon and mix gently.

Place the spinach into a shallow bowl or a dish with sloping sides and place the daikon, tomato mixture on top.

Serve.

This is really one of my favorite salads, I make it quite often and finally took a picture of it. Sorry it isn't very good though.

gallery_6134_5519_255710.jpg

• Like 1

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 9 years later...

Chinese Tiger Salad (老虎菜 lǎo hǔ cài) is one of my favourite ways to serve daikon. Simple but very good.

Tigersalad.jpg

Alternatively, chunks of daikon are common in hot pots and soups.

Edited by liuzhou
added image (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I too have a hard time with this root vegetable. It's available for less than a dollar a pound at my Korean owned Asian grocer. The good news is that if you start cutting from the root end and keep the part you don't use refrigerated, it lasts a surprisingly long time. Weeks. This is good, because the roots available are well over a pound. Sometimes the top will start to sprout, and I pinch that off and use it as a little bit of green in a dish.

> ^ . . ^ <

I like braised daikon (with pork) and this particular soup with ribs. Both are typical dishes in various Asian countries.

In southern Germany they slice it thinly, then sprinkle with some salt and wash down with many a beer.

Oneday I want to make daikon kimchi.

I like it  quick pickled after thin slicing on the mandoline. The larger rounds make a nice addition to grilled meats wrapped in lettuce. Mzny Korean BBQ places offer that along with the lettuce and rice sheets. It does have a very strong odor when you open the jar....

• Like 2