• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Husband and friend heading into Bangkok

they are coming in around 11 December........

any recommendations for the airport ?

They are meeting someone there for a week of travel.

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

both.....

husband is getting in first and would love to free range but doesn't want to be far if the friend gets in from the states a little early

friend is getting in later in the day and they have a few hours before getting picked up

any suggestions are appreciated.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I haven't been to BKK in a few years, but Suvarnabhumi is HUGE... but I don't know what kind of food options are there or how good they are.  We the vast majority of the time in that airport running from one gate to another as the distance is quite far.  You can probably look up on their website what the food options are - I don't remember if there is anything once you get out of the security area - but most airports have an online map where you can see what's available.

Are they staying in BKK at all or are they going to be picked up straight from the airport?  If they're meeting the person at a hotel, it's best to stay in neighborhood of the hotel, unless the hotel is right by the skytrain, then you can go anywhere also near a skytrain stop.  Once you get away from that you need to figure on needing a lot more time, depending on time of day.

In BKK itself there are tons of options, but BKK's traffic is horrible - you can sit at one traffic light for literally 20 minutes not moving an inch. 

Years ago, while in BKK, I posted this thread: https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bkk-for-a-couple-of-foodies-982949/

It starts out asking questions before our trip, and then is a food trip report which I posted while we were there.  Also, that fodors community is very BKK centric - lots of the regulars on that board go there once or twice a year.