• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bring A Bottle of Wine To Another Couple??

Since they are having a wine & cheese, I would bring flowers. I know you mentioned that you don't care to deal with cut flowers but perhaps this couple does. It also gets them out of any obligation to serve what your hostess gift. Good luck, hope you have a nice time!

• Like 1

I'd bring wine, cheese, pecans, and dessert as well. Don't forget the napkins!

Overthinking? Do you think?!

Never is a bottle of wine an incorrect gift, in my opinion. Unless you're going to a bris.

We are often invited to friends' homes for fancy dinners. I know that they're opening very good wines to pour with dinner.  If they stick the wine I bring into their wine fridge, I'm not insulted, and nor do they feel bad.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Overthinking.

At the end of the day, so long as you do not arrive empty handed, you are in the right.  There is no wrong here (unless you go bat-shit crazy and bring a complete wine and cheese spread, trying to trump their offering, that might be construed as slightly insulting....).

People often bring wine to my house and I already have one open or decanted, leaving theirs if we want another bottle.  No eyes batted, no feelings hurt.

Just bring....something!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MelissaH said:

What's wrong with bringing wine, especially if you make it clear that the wine is NOT for now?

DH is bringing wine...but HOW (and WHY) does one make that clear? 

Don't really care if they serve it or not,...why should I?  

Yes, I am an over-thinker!  

Edited by gulfporter (log)

I would take the wine nicely wrapped.  I am a say like it is kinda gal so I would say something like “you probably have your wine and cheese pairs done so this is for later”.  Wine is never a bad gift especially it seems these people like wine.  You can start the conversation about how you decided to bring wine.  If these are people worth getting to know you will find out with such a conversation.

The other ideas presented are also all excellent .

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gulfporter said:

DH is bringing wine...but HOW (and WHY) does one make that clear?

10 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

I would take the wine nicely wrapped.  I am a say like it is kinda gal so I would say something like “you probably have your wine and cheese pairs done so this is for later”.  Wine is never a bad gift especially it seems these people like wine.  You can start the conversation about how you decided to bring wine.  If these are people worth getting to know you will find out with such a conversation.

This. You say so.

• Like 2

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I think if someone invited me specifically for wine and cheese, I would not bring wine and/or cheese. That's what they're giving me - they said so! I think the pecans are a great idea. Perhaps some nice dried fruit, or chocolates. Anything other than their main focus. 

24 minutes ago, cakewalk said:

I think if someone invited me specifically for wine and cheese, I would not bring wine and/or cheese. That's what they're giving me - they said so! I think the pecans are a great idea. Perhaps some nice dried fruit, or chocolates. Anything other than their main focus. 

Now chocolate. Why didn’t I think of that? Some good chocolate.  Who could resist? 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Take wine. If they think your choice is less than "perfect", then they might not serve it which is OK, but if they are reasonably reasonable people will appreciate the thought (and drink it when no one is looking).

If not, you probably don't want to make friends there anyway!

It's a dinner invite, not a life changing exam. Relax. Five years from now you will be laughing at yourself for worrying about nothing..

Or you could just call them and say you really want to bring something, then they will demur, but insist and ask what they would like.

Etiquette is largely nonsense invented hundreds of years ago by very uptight people.

Flow with the go!

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

11 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Or you could just call them and say you really want to bring something, then they will demur, but insist and ask what they would like.

I have a problem with this, and that's that I really don't like when I invite people for dinner,  and they ask what they can bring. 

That's your problem...mine is figuring out what to make for dinner, and what we should drink with it.

However, we do have friends with nice wine cellars, and sometimes we'll discuss a course or two, and if they offer to bring something to go with that course, I'll quite readily agree. 

We have been known to bring flowers and/or an orchid, however.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

42 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Etiquette is largely nonsense invented hundreds of years ago by very uptight people.

I would describe it as the grease that keeps us from rubbing each other the wrong way. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog