• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Frog Commissary CookBook

rotuts

I had this book for a long time

I was in PA and went to their place

I have no idea where my copy is,

i sued it for a long long long time top do their CkWings

the leftovers and indeed I make a lot

went into my home made ravioli 

a best if ever :

FC1.thumb.jpg.39ee9982990514b220fa4014252f41e0.jpg

5abe834f79b00_FCw.thumb.jpg.f8d48a3ee196eca7e243aa3496da5d02.jpg

thats the mope or less Rx for CkWings long gnome by

if you like having a cookbook in your hand

consider this one

used 

from Amazon :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0940159732/ref=tmm_pap_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=&sr=

best ^ bucks you have ever spent 

just saying

• Like 1

I looked it up :

in the Index 

No Scrapple was Killed Mutilated or consumed

in this book

Its from 

5abe86f03dbd5_FC6.thumb.jpg.d5f9fda7a4103b40fb34ec92cdb16a17.jpg

that's an error

but consider this book 

used

better than most you might buy New !

suprise.gif.a97bc3a6d2921253b2d5fcbfb10db428.gifsuprise.gif.a97bc3a6d2921253b2d5fcbfb10db428.gif

• Like 1

By coincidence, I just had a copy delivered from Amazon.

It is as you  say, @rotuts.

VG book. That place was ahead of its time. The recipes still look good years later. I'll spend some time with this one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It is available in a Kindle edition and the preview makes it very tempting. I first heard of this book here when we were discussing the best recipe for carrot cake and there were many fans of the version from the Frog Commissary. 

@rotuts  has mentioned the chicken wings on more than one occasion I do believe and I think that member @Marlenewas also a fan of them.  Someone else swore by their vegetarian burger recipe. 

What other recipes have a fan following here on eG?   Don’t be shy now. :)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I have this book also.  I have made a few things from it but I did not make extensive notes.  For those of you on Eat Your Books there are a number of reviews on the recipes.

I also found a review on Amazon.com very useful.  I have copied it and here it is (hope I am allowed to do this):

ByChris Chiquoineon January 24, 2009
I have loved this book for many years and give it to new cooks whenever I can. I picked up another copy the other day and there was a "Cookbook Update" sheet tucked into it. I'm not sure if this was official or not but here it is:

Frog Commissary Cookbook Update

Page Number:
60 (Scotch Broth with Coriander)
Omit 3 1/2 teaspoons salt
Omit 11/2 teaspoons pepper
Change 2 teaspoons salt to 5 teaspoons salt

Change "Chop the mushrooms and set aside."
to "Chop the mushrooms, wash well and set aside".

Change "Stir in the water, salt and pepper along with the
ground coriander, reserve mushrooms, and mushroom liquid. Simmer for 1 hour and. .."
to "Stir in the water, salt and pepper along with the
ground coriander and reserve mushrooms. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour and..."
123 (Pistachio Chicken Breasts with Herb-Garlic Cheese Filling) In Herb-Garlic Cheese Filling:
Change 1 "tablespoon" minced garlic to 1 "teaspoon" minced garlic
129-30 (Siamese Chicken Curry) .
Add under list of ingredients for Curry, after 2 tablespoons soy sauce insert "OPT. 1/2 teaspoon sriracha or Tabasco sauce"
Change the directions under Curry from
"When the sauce is smooth, add the broccoli and quickly heat through. Taste and add the optional sriracha or Tabasco if desired. Stir in..."
134~35 (Mexican Lasagne) Under Assembly
Insert the following sentence after "Preheat the oven to 350" " Combine the Creme Fraiche with the eggs and set aside. "
Under Assembly on Page 136. Insert the following sentence after
'.Put down the last 6 toastados. " "Spoon the remaining Creme Fraiche over the top. "
155-56 (Lamb Curry)
Add to ingredient list under Curry, after 1/4 teaspoon salt, "OPT. 1/2 teaspoon srarcha or Tabasco sauce"
On Page 156 under Curry
After "Lower heat, add the Bechamel and eggplant and heat through. " Add, "If the resulting mixture seems too thick, add some additional half-and-half, beginning with 2 tablespoons. Stir until smooth, taste and add the sraracha or Tabasco if desired."
161 (Pasta Roll)
Change ". ..combine the spinach with the ricotta, eggs, yolks" to ". ..combine the spinach with the ricotta, yolks.
176-77 (Goat Cheese Pizza)
Change 1/3 cup olive oil to 1/4 cup (under Topping)
Change "Bake 10 minutes more." to "Bake 5 to 10 minutes more .
177 (Clam Pizza with Fresh Herbs)
change 1/3 cup olive oil to 1/4 cup (under Topping)

178-79 (Pizza with Mussels, Saffron, etc.)
Change 1/3 cup olive oil to 1/4 cup (under Topping) Change "Bake 10 minutes more...
To "Bake 5 to 10 minutes more...
206 (Caponata)
Change 3 tablepoons sugar to 1 tablespoon sugar
Change ..or even mounded on black bread. to
..or even mounded hot on black bread. .."
223 (Cinnamon Butter Muffins)
Change order of ingredients under Muffins so that 4 teaspoons of baking powder is moved up and inserted between 112 teaspoon nutmeg and 1 cup milk. .
Change directions under Muffins
..Beat in the eggs, salt and nutmeg." to
"Beat in the eggs, salt, nutmeg and baking powder."
226-28 (Carrot Cake)
Under Notes and Variations change
..Substitute apples or zucchini for the carrots... to
"Substitute 4 cups of unpeeled grated apples or zucchini for the .. carrots.
231 (Chocolate Mousse Cake)
Change, under Chocolate Mousse
..In the top of a double boiler over simmering water, combine the chocolate, coffee and Grand Marnier. Keeping the heat as lowas possible, let the chocolate melt. ..to
..Bring 2 inches of water to a simmer in a 3 quart saucepan. Combine, off the heat, in a large metal mixing bowl the chopped chocolate, coffee and Grand Marnier. Place the bowl over the simmering water. Do not stir the mixture while it is melting and keep the heat as low as possi ble ...
233 (Chocolate Chip Fudge Cake)
Change, under Frosting, ..in a small but deep, heavy to ..in a deep, heavy ...
252 (Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies) Change, in ingredient list 2 eggs, lightly beaten to 2 eggs

252 (Oatmeal Chocolate Chip walnut Cookies)
Change in ingredient list:
2 Eggs, lightly beaten to
2 Eggs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

It is available in a Kindle edition and the preview makes it very tempting. I first heard of this book here when we were discussing the best recipe for carrot cake and there were many fans of the version from the Frog Commissary. 

@rotuts  has mentioned the chicken wings on more than one occasion I do believe and I think that member @Marlenewas also a fan of them.  Someone else swore by their vegetarian burger recipe. 

What other recipes have a fan following here on eG?   Don’t be shy now. :)

My wife made the carrot cake from the Frog recipe last week. It is as I remember it (wonderful and filling) and is a bit of work. If we do it again it will be a sheet cake like they served at the Commissary, I think.

• Thanks 1

Ill post a few pics from just before the wings Rx

its about Filo and how to use it

aside from Baklava I made at home

this was the first time i made it into triangles w their fillings.

Im getting off my chair now ...

here theya re :

FC1.thumb.jpg.9d94eb5004aafc1ef1598936d05ef1ef.jpgFC2.thumb.jpg.5f5149cea62afe1e1c298b3be3bef787.jpg

if you can not make these out

for review purposes 

Ill try again tomorrow.

If there is a page or two that keenly intreerst you 

let me know.

Im not a fan of eBooks

but a Cut-Out in say , Buffalo , say NY would enjoy a study of this book until it might be picked up

at a Deaddrop for its journey N.

6 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Im not a fan of eBooks

I find it harder and harder to read a hardcopy book. But that’s just my physical limitations speaking. There are lots of things I miss about a physical copy but I’m grateful that I can still enjoy books. 

I have been reading reviews of this book all over the place and is amazing how much loved it is.  From reviews written when it was first released to some as late as this year everyone seems to be a fan.  Not too many books received quite this much love. 

• Thanks 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

On 3/30/2018 at 3:44 PM, gfweb said:

That place was ahead of its time. 

I don't know about "ahead of its time," but it was ahead of mine. I haven't really looked at it in a while, and all I remembered were the three stir-fry sauces that I made again and again throughout the late 80s. But now, having leafed back through it, I realize that this is where I first learned of Szechuan peppercorns, sun-dried tomatoes, Chinese sausages, curry pastes and sriracha. I also now recall that, instead of just those three sauces, I've made many of the recipes in the book , and can't remember a single failure (that wasn't my fault). The lists of suggested combinations that end most of the sections (I've used a lot of those, too), the variations appended to many recipes, and abundant, informative marginalia are priceless. Well, not priceless -- looks like it's $15 to $17 for a copy (less in Kindle), and that's a bargain.

• Like 1

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

@Dave the Cook

Perhaps then you could answer a question that has me quite perplexed. I am not a fan of lentils and have probably only cooked them once or twice in my life.  This book suggests that dried lentils can be cooked on the stove top in 3 to 5 minutes?  No mention of pre-soaking.  Doesn’t seem to matter what kind of lentils are being used.  Was there something more magical in the 80s that could accomplish this?  I am of course assuming you still have the cookbook and I’m guessing I’m wrong on that score having reread your post. Perhaps someone else will clue me in though. 

This refers to red lentils:

“SALAD

Wash lentils. Cook them in boiling water for 5–6 minutes or until just tender. (Test after 2 minutes.)”

This from a recipe that just calls for dried lentils without specifying anything further:

“Cook the lentils for 2–3 minutes or until tender in boiling salted water. Drain well and cool.”

When I consult various sources about cooking lentils they certainly call for much longer times. 

Thanks. 

Oops.  Yes you do have the book!  

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

We do have the book -- three copies, as a matter of fact.

Sorry, I can't help you with the lentils, as I've never made either of the lentil recipes in Frog/Commissary. Lentils do cook more quickly than other dried legumes, but not that fast!

I will note that in his blog, Steven Poses has a recipe that include puy lentils, which he cooks for 20 minutes -- more in line with my experience (Bob's Red Mill, for example, says 15 minutes for red lentils).

Sorry I can't be more specifically helpful.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

6 minutes ago, Dave the Cook said:

We do have the book -- three copies, as a matter of fact.

Sorry, I can't help you with the lentils, as I've never made either of the lentil recipes in Frog/Commissary. Lentils do cook more quickly than other dried legumes, but not that fast!

I will note that in his blog, Steven Poses has a recipe that include puy lentils, which he cooks for 20 minutes -- more in line with my experience (Bob's Red Mill, for example, says 15 minutes for red lentils).

Sorry I can't be more specifically helpful.

Thanks. I find it most peculiar and I’m hoping someone else will chime in that is into cooking lentils. 

My 2004 eG Blog

I would agree that most lentils take 15 minutes at the very least and are not usually soaked prior to cooking because that would lead to mushy lentils once cooked.  However, the small red lentils you mention first MAY cook that quickly.  Have not used them in a salad....more in soups, curries and in the microwave cooked with rice because they cook at the same time.

2 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

I would agree that most lentils take 15 minutes at the very least and are not usually soaked prior to cooking because that would lead to mushy lentils once cooked.  However, the small red lentils you mention first MAY cook that quickly.  Have not used them in a salad....more in soups, curries and in the microwave cooked with rice because they cook at the same time.

I am not honestly looking for ways to cook lentils. I’m trying to understand the instructions in an obviously well-loved book. They seem so out of sync with most other sources. 

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Well, there are 2 1/2 pages of errors.

i think the instructions for cooking are missing a “1”

:(

Strangely almost all those errors as far as I’ve been able to determine have been corrected in my Kindle edition.  I realize I’m probably on a fool’s errand but I can’t help myself.  

Maybe everyone who read the book and cooked from it hated lentils as much as I do and so no one ever used recipes that call for lentils.  The book’s reputation remained unsuullied for all these (33) years. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

I have the Chinese flavour wings from page 7 in the fridge marinating!:D

On my list!   Anxious to hear how you like them.  I now have two copies of the book. A Kindle copy which I bought myself and a hard copy which is on loan from @Kerry Beal. It is fascinating look into a group of restaurants well ahead of their time.  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Well, I followed the recipe EXACTLY.  Made the full 4 lbs of wings. 

Here they are before going in the oven.  In a single layer with all the marinade poured over the top.

DSC02383.thumb.jpg.9201dd8f165e3350e76c74a3f4b1d8f0.jpg

After 30 minutes there was a ton of sauce left and with only 15 minutes left on the timer I thought I needed to drain some of the sauce off so the rest could get sticky as described being the outcome desired.

I got about 2 1/2 cups of sauce/juice.

DSC02387.thumb.jpg.45f557e6e6ad52e59afa560044d647cc.jpg

Here they are, drained, and going back in the oven.

DSC02384.thumb.jpg.3813cc42555675504c5d90fb78385d55.jpg

I left them in for another 20 to 25 minutes until they looked 'sticky' and a deeper brown as described.

DSC02386.thumb.jpg.3da687f68587e4b95d9032edc9505604.jpg

DSC02389.thumb.jpg.1460f56a10c6e9d45d6a28c5d1c3385b.jpg

Final dinner.  Wings, salad and air fryer frites.

DSC02390.thumb.jpg.7a418897818147b66bdede9bdd1dd035.jpg

I was so full after eating just three.  I made mostly the drumettes.

They tasted sweet and smoky.  We rated them an 8/10.

I think they will reheat in the little steam oven.

A good recipe for a crowd.

I would make a 1/2 recipe next time.

Oh, and use heavy duty foil for easy clean up.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I made the Szechuan Stir Fry Sauce on page 133.  The recipe makes a little less than 1/2 cup and after I made the first batch I made a second one because I did not have enough for the chicken I was cooking to go with.  It is a very nice sauce with interesting flavours.  Definitely going in my rotation.  I like that you can made the sauce ahead and then just dump it on top of what ever you cooked to go with.  Last night it was just stir fried chicken pieces.  I added some chives as a garnish.  Yum.