• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Easter ham marinade

mm84321

9 hours ago, mm84321 said:

What is your preferred method of marinading a ham? And a leg of lamb? Thanks.

Is this really you mm84321?   Or is somebody logging in using your identity? 

Click.   

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Is this really you mm84321?   Or is somebody logging in using your identity? 

Click.   

Long term memory loss? I mean that was back in 2011.....

I am still trying to wrap my head around the ham marinade....Unless he meant a cure/brine for a uncooked uncured fresh ham.

Edited by FeChef (log)

Most hams come with a glaze. Throw it away. Rub your ham down with plain old ballpark yellow mustard, then pat a thick coat of dark brown sugar all over it. Put it in the oven at 325, for 20 minutes per pound. No need to baste. 

It does help if you line your pan with foil, and put your ham on a rack. Otherwise, it's generally easier to throw the pan away than to clean it.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, mm84321 said:

So, you don't marinade your ham?

Depends on what you mean by "marinade".  If it's a cured ham that's already salted and cooked, a liquid marinade or brine isn't going to do much.  I think most people do as @kayb suggests and do a dry rub or glaze with sugar and/or mustard, or you can do the pineapple rings on top kind of thing.

• Like 1