• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Water Activity/Shelf LIfe

Sweet Impact Mama

14 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Of course we could do it with a Hershey bar or something except I think the Canadian ones are still made in Canada so might not be exactly the same. 

Maybe Lindt bars would be the same across north america and easy to find for both of us?

3 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Maybe Lindt bars would be the same across north america and easy to find for both of us?

Funny I was thinking exactly the same thing - shall send hubby out to get a Lindt 70% Excellence when he gets a chance. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Funny I was thinking exactly the same thing - shall send hubby out to get a Lindt 70% Excellence when he gets a chance. 

here’s the one he’s picking up 

image.jpeg

So here's what I got - I didn't calibrate today - I had done so not that long ago.

Half as much water as chocolate - Aw 0.88 - Pro-Choc's estimate 0.96

one quarter as much water as chocolate - Aw 0.78 - Pro-Choc's estimate 0.87

Heintz Ketchup - 0.83

Invert (trimoline) - 0.68

This is very cool. Thanks to everyone taking part in this experiment!

@Rajala I was wondering if you've done any experiments yourself comparing your 2 meters as I was looking to get one of those cheaper Chinese ones but wasn't sure how accurate they were? They say +/-0.02 AW accuracy on the description but, i've no idea how true that is.

@Kerry BealWhat do you think of those Pro-Choc estimates? They seem pretty off at first glance.

Thanks

The Chinese one is pretty accurate based on its specs, but it takes like an hour to get the correct measure. And yeah, it's 0,02 in accuracy which is kind of bad if you get a 0,85 reading. Is it 0,85? 0,87? 0,83? :)

35 minutes ago, Rajala said:

The Chinese one is pretty accurate based on its specs, but it takes like an hour to get the correct measure. And yeah, it's 0,02 in accuracy which is kind of bad if you get a 0,85 reading. Is it 0,85? 0,87? 0,83? :)

Thanks for the quick reply. I think the Aqualab PawKit model claims the same 0.02+/- accuracy but in the UK it's 10 times the price of the Chinese ones and unfortunately I can't afford that, let alone any of the more accurate models.

For me, it's a choice between a Chinese meter or a pro-choc subscription and pro-choc's AW estimates don't seem that great. Waiting an hour for a reading, while annoying, isn't a deal breaker for me.

Thanks for your help. :)  

2 hours ago, DomDeFranco said:

This is very cool. Thanks to everyone taking part in this experiment!

@Rajala I was wondering if you've done any experiments yourself comparing your 2 meters as I was looking to get one of those cheaper Chinese ones but wasn't sure how accurate they were? They say +/-0.02 AW accuracy on the description but, i've no idea how true that is.

@Kerry BealWhat do you think of those Pro-Choc estimates? They seem pretty off at first glance.

Thanks

I’m surprised - when I did similar comparisons with ganaches in the past the numbers were pretty similar 

• Like 1

I got 0,6347 for European made invert sugar, trimoline style.

European made Heinz ketchup = 0,916.

No sure why the reading is that much higher? Less sugar? Different sugar types?

24 minutes ago, Rajala said:

I got 0,6347 for European made invert sugar, trimoline style.

European made Heinz ketchup = 0,916.

No sure why the reading is that much higher? Less sugar? Different sugar types?

My bottle has been open for a while and it was ‘well aged’ before I opened it - so perhaps not the best example. But I’d be willing to bet that European Heintz is lower in sugars 

12 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

My bottle has been open for a while and it was ‘well aged’ before I opened it - so perhaps not the best example. But I’d be willing to bet that European Heintz is lower in sugars 

Yeah, i think the US version has corn syrup whereas the UK/EU version uses sucrose i think, so that would explain the lower rating i guess.

2 hours ago, Rajala said:

My bottle is in the fridge, but I measured at room temperature.

I keep mine in the fridge as well - it had warmed to room temperature by the time I tested it

2 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

it was a long week in the Easter egg mines, but I'll find a Lindt bar and do some testing in a few days

no ketchup though 🤢🤣

I considered testing Miracle Whip - but thought that might cause even more of a divide.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, AAQuesada said:

looking forward to seeing everyone's ketchup filled bonbon's with french fry inclusions! 😂🤣lol that's all I could think of reading this thread!

Thats a yinzer move. 

• Haha 1

On 3/20/2022 at 11:06 AM, Kerry Beal said:

So here's what I got - I didn't calibrate today - I had done so not that long ago.

Half as much water as chocolate - Aw 0.88 - Pro-Choc's estimate 0.96

one quarter as much water as chocolate - Aw 0.78 - Pro-Choc's estimate 0.87

I got the Lindt 70% & tested (at 20.6C for 4 min)

4:1 choc:H20 = 0.788 ... very firm though, wouldn't want it in a bonbon.  But a similar aW with added butter fat would be softer, right?

2:1 = 0.946

56 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

I got the Lindt 70% & tested (at 20.6C for 4 min)

4:1 choc:H20 = 0.788 ... very firm though, wouldn't want it in a bonbon.  But a similar aW with added butter fat would be softer, right?

2:1 = 0.946

Interesting - we are kinda all over the place. 

I'd better retest my 2:1

all over the place is right ... I tested the same samples today and got

4:1 = 0.818, 0.810, 0.814

2:1 = 0.911, 0.903, 0.906

I wonder what's up with the same samples testing differently.  Maybe I should actually read the instructions?

40 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

all over the place is right ... I tested the same samples today and got

4:1 = 0.818, 0.810, 0.814

2:1 = 0.911, 0.903, 0.906

I wonder what's up with the same samples testing differently.  Maybe I should actually read the instructions?

Maybe I'm being too casual, but I would not find the variance in those readings disturbing at all.  I am interested in an estimate of shelf life, not in an exact reading of how much free water is in the sample, and the 4:1 readings are (rounded off) between 0.81 and 0.82, and the 2:1 ones are between 0.90 and 0.91.  My Pawkit readings are only to two decimals, so to me that would have been the same.  Aren't those close enough to estimate shelf life?  In both cases, of course, the readings are disturbing, but we are dealing with a water ganache here.  If you recall, when you were sending me fillings to test, the exact same sample would have slightly differing readings over a period of a couple of minutes. The software readings from Kerry, on the other hand, have a more significant variance.

• Like 1

Hehe, if you read the instructions you can see that any machine have a repeatability range and a +- accuracy. So those combined will need to be taken into account while looking at repeated readings of the same sample.

• Like 1