• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jim D.

Jim D.

Correct error in Pawkit readings

Here are the results from the latest tests:

Time Frame of Readings:

A = immediately after ganache was made

B = 3 hours later

C = 12 hours after reading B

Readings for Each Sample:

1 = sample was left uncovered for all readings and was not stirred until before reading C

A = 0.69

B = 0.58

C = 0.69

2 = sample was covered between all readings and was not stirred until before reading C

A = 0.69

B = 0.75

C = 0.75

3 = sample was left uncovered for all readings and stirred before readings A and C

A = 0.67

B = 0.70

C = 0.69

The instrument was the Pawkit from Meter Group (previously Decagon Devices). The readings are supposed to be accurate within 0.2 [correction: 0.02] units of water activity.

For me, Sample 1 is the most relevant because the readings clearly show that my previous conclusion, that by simply letting a ganache sit for a while its Aw will decrease, was inaccurate.  I should have thought of the fact that the meter was measuring the top surface (at least I think that's what it does).  The 0.69 reading stubbornly remains the same when the sample is stirred.

I am puzzled by the readings for sample 2 (which was covered throughout): they actually rise over time, whether stirred or not.

I would think sample 3 most clearly parallels what the chocolatier experiences since stirring the sample before readings brings more of the ganache to the top for measuring each time (why the second reading rose I cannot explain).

My (disappointing) conclusion:  The Aw reading of a ganache remains approximately the same throughout the process--what you initially make is what you get.  There are, it would seem, no magic factors in getting the water level activity lower.

Jim D.

Jim D.

Time Frame of Readings:

B = 3 hours later

1 = sample was left uncovered for all readings and was not stirred until before reading C

A = 0.69

B = 0.58

C = 0.69

2 = sample was covered between all readings and was not stirred until before reading C

A = 0.69

B = 0.75

C = 0.75

3 = sample was left uncovered for all readings and stirred before readings A and C

A = 0.67

B = 0.70

C = 0.69

The instrument was the Pawkit from Meter Group (previously Decagon Devices). The readings are supposed to be accurate within 0.2 units of water activity.

For me, Sample 1 is the most relevant because the readings clearly show that my previous conclusion, that by simply letting a ganache sit for a while its Aw will decrease, was inaccurate.  I should have thought of the fact that the meter was measuring the top surface (at least I think that's what it does).  The 0.69 reading stubbornly remains the same when the sample is stirred.

I am puzzled by the readings for sample 2 (which was covered throughout): they actually rise over time, whether stirred or not.

I would think sample 3 most clearly parallels what the chocolatier experiences since stirring the sample before readings brings more of the ganache to the top for measuring each time (why the second reading rose I cannot explain).

My (disappointing) conclusion:  The Aw reading of a ganache remains approximately the same throughout the process--what you initially make is what you get.  There are, it would seem, no magic factors in getting the water level activity lower.

Jim D.

Jim D.

Time Frame of Readings:

B = 3 hours later

A = 0.69

B = 0.58

C = 0.69

A = 0.69

B = 0.75

C = 0.75

A = 0.67

B = 0.70

C = 0.69

The instrument was the Pawkit from Meter Group (previously Decagon Devices). The readings are supposed to be accurate within 0.2 units of water activity.

My (disappointing) conclusion:  The Aw reading of a ganache remain approximately the same throughout the process--what you initially make is what you get.  There are, it would seem, no magic factors in getting the water level activity lower.