CAPE MALAY PICKLED FISH
2 to 2.5kg fish
salt & pepper
oil for frying
750ml brown vinegar
1 cup water
1 tablespoon turmeric
3 tablespoons curry powder
1½ teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
4 large onions, finely sliced
6 Bay leaves
170g sultanas (optional)
4 teaspoons flour
- Fillet the fish and cut into cubes.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper and fry in hot oil until cooked though. Drain on kitchen paper.
- In a large saucepan combine the vinegar, water, turmeric, curry powder, salt and peppercorns and bring to the boil.
- Add onions and Bay leaves and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes until the onion is cooked but still slightly crunchy.
- Layer the fish, sultanas (if used) and onion in a large non-metallic dish, pour sauce over and refrigerate.
- Keep refrigerated for at least 3 days. It keeps refrigerated for over a month.
I layer the fish in a Tupperware type plastic container with a locking lid. Let it mature for more than 3 days if you can.
Also, try and use a firm white fish. Sometimes I have used tuna when doing a yacht deliver.