• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

cslas

cslas

On 3/31/2018 at 3:41 PM, julie99nl said:

The ingredient is Anise liquer with a suggestion to use Raki or Ouzo.

Piping in a little late, but finding the thread useful none-the-less. Anyway, having studied in Greece, I'd suggest anyone interested in this recipe go for the Ouzo over the Raki. I'm not really a licorice fan either, but Ouzo at least tastes like licorice, Raki on the other hand... tastes sort of yeasty in my experience. It may be that I didn't have the good stuff, but from what I did have, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone :)

Also, since it's a licorice flavor the recipe calls for you might be able to substitute pastis or sambuca. 

cslas

cslas

On 3/31/2018 at 3:41 PM, julie99nl said:

The ingredient is Anise liquer with a suggestion to use Raki or Ouzo.

Piping in a little late, but finding the thread useful none-the-less. Anyway, having studied in Greece, I'd suggest anyone interested in this recipe go for the Ouzo over the Raki. I'm not really a licorice fan either, but Ouzo at least takes like licorice, Raki on the other hand... tastes sort of yeasty in my experience. It may be that I didn't have the good stuff, but from what I did have, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone :)

Also, since it's a licorice flavor the recipe calls for you might be able to substitute pastis or sambuca.